Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 26th 2013, 06:11 AM   #1

Clutch reservoir cap options?

Hi all,

After seeing several posts about getting air into the master cylinder of the clutch and observing how much the fluid aerates while riding I had a thought.

On several other bikes that I have had there is a simple rubber (or some other plastic compound) diaphragm on the bottom side of the cap/cover that slowly expands downwards to fill the open space. You then don't have all the excess air to get in the master cylinder.

I haven't had the issue, yet, so I haven't pulled the cap off. But looking at it, there isn't anything like this on the reservoir. Anyone know of a cap of the same diameter and thread that would have this?

Perhaps I should have posted this in the tech forum...

Thanks.

Last edited by Archon; Jul 26th 2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Added a word

Old Jul 26th 2013, 06:38 AM   #2

YOur caps don't have rubber seals on them?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Banned

I Ride: Hyosung that is like my 1199
Plastic wrap ?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
YOur caps don't have rubber seals on them?
They don't have a rubber diaphragm (that I can see) that would expand downward to fill the gap between the cap and the top of the fluid. Many (most) clutch and brake reservoirs have this to keep from getting air in the master cylinder. It seems that our bikes don't have this.

I am going to see if any of the Honda/Kawasaki reservoirs have the same diameter reservoir and will try their's on it.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 07:39 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Archon View Post
They don't have a rubber diaphragm (that I can see) that would expand downward to fill the gap between the cap and the top of the fluid. Many (most) clutch and brake reservoirs have this to keep from getting air in the master cylinder. It seems that our bikes don't have this.

I am going to see if any of the Honda/Kawasaki reservoirs have the same diameter reservoir and will try their's on it.

You're missing pieces dude if you don't have a rubber diaphragm. Order a replacement cap assembly.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 08:40 AM   #6

I Ride: 2012 1199S, 2008 Speed Triple
Also of note, although both my master (once) and slave (twice) cylinders have been replaced under warranty for letting air into the clutch's hydraulic system, the slave appears to be (have been, fingers crossed) the source of the problem. Air rises in the system and any air bled from bleeding the master has accumulated over time, rising from the slave.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
cap, clutch, diaphragm, options, reservoir