• 1 Post By Gecko
  • 2 Post By NOLA
  • 1 Post By Gecko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 24th 2013, 06:18 AM   #1

Weird electrical issue (brake blink)

Hi All,

I have an unusual electrical issue on my 2013 Pani R

I have replaced the tail light with the Competition Werkes integrated light.
Everything works but the brake light only blinks once when I hit the brakes.
No matter how long i hold the brakes in, it only blinks once initially.

I spoke to them, they were super nice and immediately sent a replacement.

The replacement did the same thing. By then they received the light back and told me it was working perfectly... they were kind enough to take the second one back and refund me (impeccable service).

My original light works properly, brake light stays on solid when brakes are applied. Pop the integrated one back in and problem returns. Hit the brakes and it just blinks once, no matter how long you hold the brakes in.

I really want the integrated tail but this is just unsafe...

There are no other mods on the bike that I can imagine would create this situation. Battery is nice and topped off (battery tender always on it) , bike has up-map, rear fender delete, pegs, that's it... I'm stumped...

Plus, you can bet your A?? the Duc dealer won't care because everything stock works well...

Anyone else have this issue ?

Any ideas what it could be ?

Thank you and happy holidays !

Old Dec 24th 2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Stw

Originally Posted by Wack View Post
Hi All,

I have an unusual electrical issue on my 2013 Pani R

I have replaced the tail light with the Competition Werkes integrated light.
Everything works but the brake light only blinks once when I hit the brakes.
No matter how long i hold the brakes in, it only blinks once initially.

I spoke to them, they were super nice and immediately sent a replacement.

The replacement did the same thing. By then they received the light back and told me it was working perfectly... they were kind enough to take the second one back and refund me (impeccable service).

My original light works properly, brake light stays on solid when brakes are applied. Pop the integrated one back in and problem returns. Hit the brakes and it just blinks once, no matter how long you hold the brakes in.

I really want the integrated tail but this is just unsafe...

There are no other mods on the bike that I can imagine would create this situation. Battery is nice and topped off (battery tender always on it) , bike has up-map, rear fender delete, pegs, that's it... I'm stumped...

Plus, you can bet your A?? the Duc dealer won't care because everything stock works well...

Anyone else have this issue ?

Any ideas what it could be ?

Thank you and happy holidays !
This sounds similar to the issue of replacing the rear turn signals with leds.. The resistance of the new part does not equal that of the Oem part and the Ecu senses this and shuts down that operation..I assume they do ship this with resistors???
Now why something specifically designed for the 1199 is beyond me...
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:28 AM   #3

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Hi Wack

Happy new Year!
I know this issue very well but did not find any solution yet.
I own a Tri. All turn signals have been replaced by Rizoma Zero's. They work perfectly, no resistors needed.
Then i wanted to install a brake light modulator. Since I have these devices on all my other bikes, I tought it would be easy. First I tried the motogadget M-Stop (two wire solution). The Brake light didn't turn on at all, and manufacturer declined any support.

Then I tried the Healtech BLP (three wire solution). Sometimes it works, sometimes brake light shuts off after flashing.

If I measure voltage between ground and brake light signal, it shows 0V if no load is connected. I speculate that the Panigale electronics has some sort of load/short circuit protection on the brake signal line.

I'll keep you posted if I find an easy solution for this problem.

BTW the ducati device related to the recall concerning turn indicator issues is installed on my bike.

Cheers
Thanks from Wack
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 02:01 PM   #4

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
Ducati 1199 Panigale Fender Eliminator Kit
Thanks from ddd269 and Wack
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 11:25 AM   #5

Thanks guys
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:21 PM   #6

I Ride: 1299S
Have you tried the Vizi-Tec modulator? They make them specific to each model, so plug and play OEM connections. Never had issues with them before.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 10:19 AM   #7

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Hi Guys

Today I finally found some time to do some measurements...
I checked on my Tri, which should be more or less the same as the S model from an electrical standpoint of view.

My Stoplight modulator (Healtech BLP) works now!

The Panigale seems to check the electrical load on the brake light signal. Initially when you either engage the front or rear brake, the bike checks for duration of 100ms with a static 12V signal the current consumed. The threshold seems to be 0.5W.

So if you want to install any kind of brake light modulator or if you replace your OEM light with another one, make sure that the electrical load exeeds 0.5W. The OEM light states a consumption of 4W, which is far beyond what's needed for a regular LED brake light.
So I decided simply to put an 2W/270Ohm resistor parallel to the light (thats about 0.53W) at the input of the modulator.

No everything is working well. Due to the f.... cold weather I had no chance today to check it on the road.
Thanks from JeffD
Old Feb 10th 2014, 08:21 AM   #8

Checked it today on the road (i.e. with running engine cold and hot), at 0 DegC outside temperature. Works perfect as expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird electrical issue (brake blink)-blp-install.jpg  
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:23 AM   #9

I Ride: 1299S
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Checked it today on the road (i.e. with running engine cold and hot), at 0 DegC outside temperature. Works perfect as expected.

Thanks for the heads up. Will make a note of this when I install the Vizi-Tec modulator.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 02:31 PM   #10

I have the same issue with an addition. I have the Ducati alarm system installed on my 2017 1299S. The original light only works properly with the alarm box connected. The integrated tail light works except for the initial blink when applying brake, and then the brake light warning on dash. Any fix, resistors, etc??

Last edited by Twilight Rider; Sep 25th 2017 at 09:27 PM.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
blink, brake, electric, electrical, issue, light, panigale, weird