Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


View Poll Results: Extended Warranty
Already have one 49 25.00%
Getting one before existing warranty expires 83 42.35%
Selling bike before warranty ends 9 4.59%
Crossing fingers and praying 55 28.06%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Tree35Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 11th 2014, 04:52 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Vancouver BC Canada

Posts: 149
Thanks: 38

Actually I bought a 5 year extended warranty mainly to make the resale value more appetizing, as I intend to put a lot of Kms on this bike, that means when I come to sell in 3 years time I will be competing with bikes for sale with 5,000kms on them instead of the 60,000 I will probably have on mine
marky mark is offline  
 
Old Jun 11th 2014, 04:54 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Vancouver BC Canada

Posts: 149
Thanks: 38

My dealer also told me if you buy the extended warranty at the time you purchase the bike new, it is way cheaper. Thats because they have your money for 2 years before the extended warranty takes effect,
marky mark is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2014, 06:45 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Sinjin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
From: Las Colinas (Dallas), TX

Posts: 460
Thanks: 217

Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I'm curious as to why you bought the extended warranty on a new bike. Extended warranties can be bought right up until the factory warranty expires. What if you don't keep the bike that long? Why up front the money? Just curious.
My understanding as well was that it was cheaper to go with the warranty at purchase by locking in at a lower cost and some providers will make it difficult to add it on to the end... certification process, etc.

However, considering what I am reading here, folks are getting extended warranties for a reasonable amount.

I plan on keeping my bikes. Though, as it was also pointed out, having an extended warranty built in can be attractive if you do decide to sell.
Thanks from Toys1
Sinjin is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2015, 05:33 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Toys1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Wichita, KS

Posts: 140
Thanks: 35

Originally Posted by Sinjin View Post
My understanding as well was that it was cheaper to go with the warranty at purchase by locking in at a lower cost and some providers will make it difficult to add it on to the end... certification process, etc.

However, considering what I am reading here, folks are getting extended warranties for a reasonable amount.

I plan on keeping my bikes. Though, as it was also pointed out, having an extended warranty built in can be attractive if you do decide to sell.
I bought extended warranty with the same considerations as yours. Just get everything done, all paperwork and sign one time. It's cheaper, easier and more convenient. Buying down the road, insurance provider might charge higher, or make you go through inspection for qualification, etc. A little over 1K to gain peace of mind is way too cheap.
Thanks from Sinjin
Toys1 is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2015, 06:26 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: South Africa

Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 501

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
Porsche SA rubbished my service plan and if I had an extended warrantee it would have gone the same way...
Claymore is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2015, 01:49 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Sinjin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
From: Las Colinas (Dallas), TX

Posts: 460
Thanks: 217

Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
Porsche SA rubbished my service plan and if I had an extended warrantee it would have gone the same way...
you got a raw deal all around. though my extended warranty isn't through a Ducati affiliated or sponsored company. I wonder if you would have received the same treatment if it was some third party vendor. Not being in the USA under the same conditions certainly is a big consideration regarding your options for coverage and any legal recourse you would of had, of course.

My Monster is with one company, Western perhaps?, and the 899 is someone completely different. Neither are through Ever Red, however.
Sinjin is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 09:23 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Indiana Jones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Miami

Posts: 231
Thanks: 49

I Ride: 1299 & GSX-R 1000
I want to get an extended warranty as I tend to keep my motorcycles for 10+ years and the cost is marginal compared to what repair costs run. In my limited research, Pinnacle is apparently a great company and they have reasonable prices...I think $800 for 7 years! Pinnacle Protection Plans :: Motorcycle

Anyone use or hear of them before?

I just bought my 1299 this Saturday, should I wait until my factory warranty is running out or get one now? Dealer recommends I get the warranty at the end of factory warranty...they also recommended I use another company other than ducati.
Indiana Jones is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 09:50 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
80shilling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 945
Thanks: 786

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
I want to get an extended warranty as I tend to keep my motorcycles for 10+ years and the cost is marginal compared to what repair costs run. In my limited research, Pinnacle is apparently a great company and they have reasonable prices...I think $800 for 7 years! Pinnacle Protection Plans :: Motorcycle

Anyone use or hear of them before?

I just bought my 1299 this Saturday, should I wait until my factory warranty is running out or get one now? Dealer recommends I get the warranty at the end of factory warranty...they also recommended I use another company other than ducati.
I got my 6 year extended warranty when I bought my 1299S. It was cheaper than if I did it later and the dealership (who are fantastic) recommended it, purely for the peace of mind. I didn't get one with my BMW S1000RR and had nearly zero issues with that bike, but the Panigale has an exorbitantly expensive engine, so I thought it was worth it, purely in case the engine lets go at any point during my ownership.

I also went with the wheel an tyre package because I commute every day and get an average of 4 punctures a year and I have also bent two front rims on the streets of San Francisco which are pock-marked bomb sites, rather than actual roads.
80shilling is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2015, 04:33 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
jjsC6's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Houston

Posts: 748
Thanks: 321

I Ride: 2012 Panigale ABS
Originally Posted by 80shilling View Post
I got my 6 year extended warranty when I bought my 1299S. It was cheaper than if I did it later and the dealership (who are fantastic) recommended it, purely for the peace of mind. I didn't get one with my BMW S1000RR and had nearly zero issues with that bike, but the Panigale has an exorbitantly expensive engine, so I thought it was worth it, purely in case the engine lets go at any point during my ownership.

I also went with the wheel an tyre package because I commute every day and get an average of 4 punctures a year and I have also bent two front rims on the streets of San Francisco which are pock-marked bomb sites, rather than actual roads.
Okay, maybe I'm banging my head against the wall on this, but how do you know you got it cheaper? Because the dealer told you so? Some folks don't realize that you can shop and negotiate extended warranties.

I believe that there may be some cases where it's a little cheaper, but generally speaking I think it is little or none at all cheaper to buy when you buy the bike. And you are putting a lot of money out there that has zero value for three years. You may not have the bike, or the warranty company may not even be in business in three years.

I do realize that the biggest reason many buyers do buy them when they buy the bike is to finance it with the bike. I'm not going to debate that except to wonder if you are paying cash you would still buy it when you buy the bike.
jjsC6 is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2015, 04:55 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: Raleigh

Posts: 260
Thanks: 181

common sense rule for extended warranties is 10% MAX

IF I was buying a new Panigale, I probably would buy an extended warranty as long as it was around the 10% MAX mark.

Warranty companies, and especially the mother companies (most in the carribean) that back them make as much money from the warranties as the manufacturers make from cars/motorcycles. (profit margins are crazy high)

Being a cheap-arse, I always buy pre-owned (1-2 years old) and only invest enough money ion a car/bike that I am willing to walk away from (in worst case).. We all have to remember, that these are just toys. Unless someone is able to write off the bike as a business expense, most of our toys lose value every morning we wake up- and I am not even talking about the black-hole of "modding".

"Buy what you can afford to repair/replace and NOT just "purchase"..

Same goes for electronics and other toys..

The negative of living by that motto is that it makes it almost impossible to "keep up with the jones's"..and in todays day and age, the "jones's" aren't just the neighbor down the street, its the hundreds of "friends" on FB, the fellow members on forums and everyone in between..

my 2 cents
Thanks from SeerreuS
desmotesta is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
buying, extended, warrantywho



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extended warranty sale Vicious Ducati 1199 13 Sep 18th 2014 07:56 AM
extended warranty mark419ny New Users 15 Nov 11th 2013 05:12 AM
Extended Warranty? lex2go Ducati 1199 35 Jul 9th 2013 07:38 AM
Extended Warranty Thoughts SoutheastJay Ducati 1199 1 Feb 10th 2013 05:23 PM
Extended Warranty B747 Ducati 1199 28 Aug 14th 2012 12:20 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed