Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:55 AM   #1

I Ride: '12 1199 ABS
"Stock" Superleggera Exhaust, available to buy?

Popped into Marin Speed Shop this morning, talked with Dave about the Superleggera they had there for a bit. His product knowledge wasn't great; seemed to answer every question with: "I don't know, you'll have to ask Parts."

Anyway, I thought that one thing he said was interesting, and I want to verify it with the forum experts here...
  • Established fact or close to it: The SL comes with 2 exhaust systems, an installed stock unit that has at least some Ti components (cans at least); and a boxed race system that is 100% Ti
  • Dave mentioned that the stock unit has a cat. Is this true? The stock unit is at least partially Ti and has a cat? And is EPA/DOT compliant?
  • Can you buy the stock SL exhaust and install it on a "base" or "S" model 1199?

Just wondering because that stock SL unit might be an interesting option, i.e. an exhaust upgrade from the stock 1199 (at least in the lightness department) that is EPA/DOT compliant for us California riders.

Thanks!
Thanks from duc9r

Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:05 AM   #2

I Ride: 2013 1199 R
Originally Posted by jhegener View Post
Popped into Marin Speed Shop this morning, talked with Dave about the Superleggera they had there for a bit. His product knowledge wasn't great; seemed to answer every question with: "I don't know, you'll have to ask Parts."

Anyway, I thought that one thing he said was interesting, and I want to verify it with the forum experts here...
  • Established fact or close to it: The SL comes with 2 exhaust systems, an installed stock unit that has at least some Ti components (cans at least); and a boxed race system that is 100% Ti
  • Dave mentioned that the stock unit has a cat. Is this true? The stock unit is at least partially Ti and has a cat? And is EPA/DOT compliant?
  • Can you buy the stock SL exhaust and install it on a "base" or "S" model 1199?

Just wondering because that stock SL unit might be an interesting option, i.e. an exhaust upgrade from the stock 1199 (at least in the lightness department) that is EPA/DOT compliant for us California riders.

Thanks!
Good point about the CA situation...
This would satisfy the rules.
Will have to deal with this later this year when we move back to CA.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:08 AM   #3

Actually, you have a 2012 still?

I thought the law only applied to a 2013 model year, and newer? And it was considered a secondary infraction (i.e.- after they got you for speeding). Only then would the hunt for the CARB compliant stamp begin.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 04:44 AM   #4

The R's ship with the standard exhaust don't they? To meet EPA specs. I doubt the shipped exhaust is anything good. Possible lamer than stock exhaust, because it's not meant for use, just to skirt the EPA laws.

Then you can put on the included Termi's for track days or racing. Not EPA friendly. The dealer has no idea you're actually going to ride it on the street.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 06:43 AM   #5

Originally Posted by duc9r View Post
Actually, you have a 2012 still?

I thought the law only applied to a 2013 model year, and newer? And it was considered a secondary infraction (i.e.- after they got you for speeding). Only then would the hunt for the CARB compliant stamp begin.
You're probably right sir.

When I was going around to different dealers in 2012, my local dealer (Munroe Motors in San Francisco) said that they would not install an aftermarket exhaust and let you ride it off. You had to trailer your bike back to and from for the install!

Anyway, that makes me think that CARB was on dealers' minds back in 2012.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:37 AM   #6

I Ride: Ducati 1199,MV Agusta F4r,Ducati MTS 1200S,MV Agusta brutale 1090rr
every time I go to California I do this while i'm thinking how It suck is to live in this state ( gun control, bike control, smog control and every stupid laws)

Residences of California I saluted you today because I don't know how you take some much shit from you state leaders .
Attached Thumbnails
"Stock" Superleggera Exhaust, available to buy?-oregon-tree-hugger.jpg  
Thanks from White13Pani, Sinjin and goesto11

Last edited by esmirna8261980; Jul 27th 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 04:45 PM   #7

Originally Posted by jhegener View Post
You're probably right sir.

When I was going around to different dealers in 2012, my local dealer (Munroe Motors in San Francisco) said that they would not install an aftermarket exhaust and let you ride it off. You had to trailer your bike back to and from for the install!

Anyway, that makes me think that CARB was on dealers' minds back in 2012.
Man, that stinks. Ridiculous state.
Have family in any other states?? Maybe you could register the bike in that state?!
I am keeping my PA plates (and Akras!!) on when I move back to Cali in the fall. Good thing is, the bike is very inconspicuous....

After looking the Termi Full Sytem over - you may want to consider just installing it yourself! Not terribly complicated. It is the electronics part of it (map up load) that may get complicated since you would still need them for the software upload.

Good luck bud.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 06:42 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
The R's ship with the standard exhaust don't they? To meet EPA specs. I doubt the shipped exhaust is anything good. Possible lamer than stock exhaust, because it's not meant for use, just to skirt the EPA laws.
I believe that the R ships with a regular stock, but the Superleggera seems to come with a special "stock" titanium system.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 06:48 PM   #9

Originally Posted by esmirna8261980 View Post
every time I go to California I do this while i'm thinking how It suck is to live in this state ( gun control, bike control, smog control and every stupid laws)

Residences of California I saluted you today because I don't know how you take some much shit from you state leaders .
Ha. Careful guys, the lion's share of motorcyclists (and probably 1199 owners) in the US nation reside in CA.

I see your photo, and I raise you the FLORIDA MAN twitter feed!

Anyway, I admit it is annoying that the law is unclear. And worse, it's causing parts suppliers and shops to pull product from their shelves.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 06:19 AM   #10

I Ride: Diavel
Originally Posted by esmirna8261980 View Post

Lived here my whole life and the state sucks, however it is the f*&^%*&^%ing voters who get this thing going. Also the reason so many good jobs are leaving the state along with many who earn real money.

All the goody two shoes who no little worried about the led from our bullets and think nothing about all the chopped up birds laying dead in our wind farms.

Prettier women, more guns, and faster horses for my men.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
buy, exhaust, stock, superleggera

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.