Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree23Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 02:20 AM   #1

I Ride: 1199 Panigale S Track
ABS removal.

I want to remove the ABS unit on my 2012 S racebike, but I have run into a bit of at problem.

I have removed the ABS unit including the brake lines and instead fitted some nice Fren Tubo Carbotech Superstock brake lines. I have also removed the complete S ABS wiring loom and instead installed a S non ABS wiring loom.

However, when turning on the ignition the engine warning light and a ABS error message is shown in the dash. No surprise.

The problem is that the DTC level disappears in the dash and only a "-" is shown, indicating that the DTC is not working.

Can I cure this by switching the BBS unit to a S non ABS unit?

To the best of my knowledge, the ECU and the dash are interchangeable from ABS to non ABS models and vice versa, but the BBS is not interchangeable from ABS to non ABS models.

Any thoughts on this ;-)

I apoligize if this topic has been up a 1000 times already, but I couldn't find anything about this using the search option.
Thanks from BowHunter

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 04:21 AM   #2

I Ride: the road
Just a thought, but have the wheel speed sensors somehow been disabled, with the loom changes?

For DTC to switch off at key-on, it seems like something isn't responding.

Anyhow, I'm sure our more knowledgable members will have some experience here.

Last edited by Xbox; Oct 22nd 2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 04:29 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Xbox View Post
Just a thought, but have the wheel speed sensors somehow been disabled, with the loom changes?

For DTC to switch off at key-on, it seems like something isn't responding.

Anyhow, I'm sure our more knowledgable members will have some experience here.
No, the wheel speed sensors were not disabled.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 05:39 AM   #4

I Ride: Panigale S
you need the wheel speed sensors for everything else on the bike and they are the same ABS vs None ABS. I would take it to a competent dealer and have them clear the error codes and I bet it will work perfectly, when adding ABS that was all I ended up needed to finish the job.
good luck
Bret
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 06:19 AM   #5

Banddlarsen: didn't you change the BBS unit to a full version prior to the error code reset ?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 06:20 AM   #6

Originally Posted by banddlarsen View Post
you need the wheel speed sensors for everything else on the bike and they are the same ABS vs None ABS. I would take it to a competent dealer and have them clear the error codes and I bet it will work perfectly, when adding ABS that was all I ended up needed to finish the job.
good luck
Bret
I realize that speed sensors are needed for other things than ABS, so they have, off course, not been removed. Clearing error codes is easy, any dealer can do this.

When You fitted ABS to Your non ABS bike. Did You change the BBS to an ABS unit?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 06:34 AM   #7

When I initially did the conversion I changed the wire harness and added the ABS pump and brake lines, I got the "missing speed sensor" error so i replaced the BBS with a BBS from a bike that I know had abs, but It gave me the same error... I then purchased a ECM from a TRI-Color with ABS and it still gave me the same error.. So I re-installed my ECM, but left the BBS in that I purchased (only because I am lazy). I then had the dealer check it out, he said it had a few error codes and it took 3 times clearing them to make them go away. As soon as the errors were gone the ABS option showed up on my dash and everything works as it should (1000 miles and still great).
So in the end I really doubt i needed the new BBS, but switching the BBS will cause the computer to error again and it will cost me more $ to get it cleared again. The dealer only charged my $100 to fix it..
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 07:25 AM   #8

banddlarsen: Could You please post or send by PM a picture of the label of Your original Base BBS.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 08:02 AM   #9

the BBS on my none ABS bike says exactly the same thing as the BBS I purchased from the ABS bike. BBS FULL (I didnt know that until I removed my old BSS) sorry i should have mentioned that already.
many of the BBS's from none ABS bikes do not say BBS FULL, but mine did.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 08:05 AM   #10

Originally Posted by banddlarsen View Post
the BBS on my none ABS bike says exactly the same thing as the BBS I purchased from the ABS bike. BBS FULL (I didnt know that until I removed my old BSS) sorry i should have mentioned that already.
many of the BBS's from none ABS bikes do not say BBS FULL, but mine did.
What is the part number?

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
abs, removal

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.