Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 17th 2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Is there a proper "tool" to remove the Oil filter cap (one with rubber o-rings)?

Hello all,

I have searched this forum, Ebay and amazon (as well as google) and have not been able to find a proper tool to remove the oil filter cap.

I have seen how-to write ups and people have improvised their own way of removing the annoying cap.

Just wondering of Ducati sells a tool or if there is one out there to remove the cap without damaging it/scratching it?

Thank you

Old Jun 17th 2015, 04:07 PM   #2

The two holes have threads they act as a pulling tool .
Thanks from BTrain5489
Old Jun 17th 2015, 04:10 PM   #3

I Ride: '14 1199S '16 675R
Originally Posted by desmotesta View Post
Hello all,

I have searched this forum, Ebay and amazon (as well as google) and have not been able to find a proper tool to remove the oil filter cap.

I have seen how-to write ups and people have improvised their own way of removing the annoying cap.

Just wondering of Ducati sells a tool or if there is one out there to remove the cap without damaging it/scratching it?

Thank you
Beat to it.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Thought there would have been a thread or two about changing the oil...
Old Jun 17th 2015, 05:02 PM   #5

I Ride: 2014 Ducati 1199 ABS
From what I understand, the 2012 model year did NOT have the threads in the holes like my 2014 has. Not sure about the 2013 model.

I was able to easily pop the cover off by using two small vise grip tools (one on each of the bolts I screwed into the holes in the cover after removing the mounting bolts) and rocking them side to side while pulling backwards.

I would not advise putting vise grips on the cover as it would mar the surface. But once you get some spare bolts screwed into the cover, you can put the vise grips on those bolts. Was way easier than I thought.

The hardest thing to do on the first service, at least for me, was tightening up all of the exhaust bolts. You have to remove the lower fairing and some of those bottom bolts are a complete bitch to get to.

Also, in the oil change thread, the poster talked about an aluminum foil "funnel" thing he put on the muffler to route oil from the filter to the drain pan... I tried to make one like his, but didn't go over to the left enough and got some oil on the muffler. Thank God for aerosol brake parts cleaner...
Thanks from desmotesta
Old Jun 17th 2015, 05:28 PM   #6

Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
Thought there would have been a thread or two about changing the oil...
If I didn't read those "oil threads" I would have known about the issue..wouldnt be looking for "another" solution.. reading comprehension much?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 06:49 PM   #7

I Ride: 2013 1199S ABS
2013 and up have the threads. One member mentioned using the passenger peg bolts. Screw them on and used it to pull off the cover.

Oil filter cover!
Old Jun 17th 2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Originally Posted by desmotesta View Post
If I didn't read those "oil threads" I would have known about the issue..wouldnt be looking for "another" solution.. reading comprehension much?
Well, obviously you haven't extrapolated anything from your "reading comprehension".

What did you gather from your "research". Yes, I put that word in quotes to be a dick. Only an asshole uses quotes to place emphasis. Normal people use italics.

You obviously didn't gather anything from the oil threads and needing another solution not withstanding your own reading comprehension.

I went bold because I hope you blow a donkey. The cap isn't annoying. You are.

You never wrote what year your bike was, or had any detail in your original post that would lead to a productive thread.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 07:30 PM   #9

I Ride: 1299(deceased)
Well, obviously you haven't extrapolated anything from your "reading comprehension".

What did you gather from your "research". Yes, I put that word in quotes to be a dick. Only an asshole uses quotes to place emphasis. Normal people use italics.

You obviously didn't gather anything from the oil threads and needing another solution not withstanding your own reading comprehension.

You never wrote what year your bike was, or had any detail in your original post that would lead to a productive thread.
Thanks from flobrandx, kev1199s and desmotesta
Old Jun 18th 2015, 02:22 AM   #10

LOL

Good morning to you

I agree with you that you were being a dick.

I am a little too "mature" to get into dick sizing matches on the "internets" (or on the road for that matter) but I get your intention was probably to just be humorous

carry on..you will find the forum, the internet and heck, the rest of the world is filled with people who would love to get into "it " with you

I couldn't be bothered.

Now, If you would like to share something that will add to what others have already shared, that WOULD be helpful..not only to me, but to someone who may also have the same concern

have a great day

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
cap, filter, oil, orings, proper, remove, rubber, tool