Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 5th 2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Gear Sensor Error!!!

Hey guys!

So today I was working on my '13 Panigale 1199. I put HID lights for the low beam and the Ducabike clear clutch cover & pressure plate. Also, I wanted to bleed the clutch because I have been having a hard time getting the bike in neutral for the first 10-20min of riding. Literally at every stop light I would have to keep it in gear because it wuold jump from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1.

When I did bleed the clutch I heard air coming out the nipple and the bike was way easier to put in neutral, so i guess that worked, BUT!... after riding for like 2 minutes my dashboard went crazy on me throwing the check engine light and then saying Gear Sensor error and the actual gear indicator wouldn't show 1,N,2,3,4,5,6.. instead it would show a dash -

I've read some Ducs have that problem and a new sensor will fix it, but, my bike was totally fine before bleeding the clutch and installing the clear clutch cover. Maybe I didnt properly bleed the clutch and thats causing some sort of issue? Or the pressure plate is too tight or something? The code goes away sometimes and then it displays the gear im in but then after a while it comes back!!!! Any help will be appreciated! - I live in Vegas and there is no Ducati dealer here.

By the way, where is that sensor located? I tried looking in the manual but no success... And how much does it go for approximately? Thanks!

Old Mar 5th 2016, 08:18 PM   #2

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by rrgerman View Post
Hey guys!

So today I was working on my '13 Panigale 1199. I put HID lights for the low beam and the Ducabike clear clutch cover & pressure plate. Also, I wanted to bleed the clutch because I have been having a hard time getting the bike in neutral for the first 10-20min of riding. Literally at every stop light I would have to keep it in gear because it wuold jump from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1.

When I did bleed the clutch I heard air coming out the nipple and the bike was way easier to put in neutral, so i guess that worked, BUT!... after riding for like 2 minutes my dashboard went crazy on me throwing the check engine light and then saying Gear Sensor error and the actual gear indicator wouldn't show 1,N,2,3,4,5,6.. instead it would show a dash -

I've read some Ducs have that problem and a new sensor will fix it, but, my bike was totally fine before bleeding the clutch and installing the clear clutch cover. Maybe I didnt properly bleed the clutch and thats causing some sort of issue? Or the pressure plate is too tight or something? The code goes away sometimes and then it displays the gear im in but then after a while it comes back!!!! Any help will be appreciated! - I live in Vegas and there is no Ducati dealer here.

By the way, where is that sensor located? I tried looking in the manual but no success... And how much does it go for approximately? Thanks!

This could be the same fault that happened on a few bikes mine included. I would start my bike and the gear position indicator on the dash would flash from 1 to 2 even though it was in neutral. In was a very quick job for the dealer to re calibrate the sensor attached to the gear shift linkage. Mine was done under warranty and no problems since.

No need for a new sensor or certainly not in my case. Several people reported the same fault and solution couple years ago. I have not seen this issue on the forum for a little while. Take it to a dealer and they will sort it out very quickly. I know you said no dealer near you. Maybe time to throw it on a trailer and take a road trip.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 08:22 PM   #3

Gear Sensor Error!!!

thanks for the info! I'll see what I can come up with
Old Mar 6th 2016, 06:14 AM   #4

Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
This could be the same fault that happened on a few bikes mine included. I would start my bike and the gear position indicator on the dash would flash from 1 to 2 even though it was in neutral. In was a very quick job for the dealer to re calibrate the sensor attached to the gear shift linkage. Mine was done under warranty and no problems since.

No need for a new sensor or certainly not in my case. Several people reported the same fault and solution couple years ago. I have not seen this issue on the forum for a little while. Take it to a dealer and they will sort it out very quickly. I know you said no dealer near you. Maybe time to throw it on a trailer and take a road trip.

Isn't that sensor that's on the shift linkage the quick shift sensor? The Problem apparently is the gear sensor which I have no clue where it is located ...
Old Mar 6th 2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Update: I went for a quick ride after bleeding the clutch again (this time properly with a bleeding kit) and the error is gone and didn't come back at all. Hopefully that's the end of this story!
Old Mar 6th 2016, 08:44 PM   #6

With mine, the error was intermittent at the start, becoming more frequent, until one day it may permanently there.
The gear position sensor is the bronze little nubbin thing that you can see at the back end of the crankcase, particularly looking from around the right rearset.
Changing it is not too difficult, but the computer will need to be retrained or something, so i let my local workshop did it.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 06:05 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
With mine, the error was intermittent at the start, becoming more frequent, until one day it may permanently there.
The gear position sensor is the bronze little nubbin thing that you can see at the back end of the crankcase, particularly looking from around the right rearset.
Changing it is not too difficult, but the computer will need to be retrained or something, so i let my local workshop did it.
Is this one?

Old Mar 7th 2016, 07:00 AM   #8

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Yep, there it is.
You''ll only find it on 1st Gen Panis, 1299 does have a different sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Gear Sensor Error!!!-gearsensor1.jpg   Gear Sensor Error!!!-gearsensor2.jpg  
Thanks from Styler and rrgerman
Old Mar 7th 2016, 10:29 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Yep, there it is.
You''ll only find it on 1st Gen Panis, 1299 does have a different sensor.
Thank you much!
Old Mar 7th 2016, 01:48 PM   #10

I Ride: 15 Pani R ( I weep a little sometimes )
Mine went twice on me on my 13. finicky sensor. Without this functioning perfectly, you may find your bike acting like a raging bull while on the freeway

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
error, gear, sensor

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.