Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree16Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 06:22 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199S Tri
Questions from a new Panigale Owner

Recently bought a 12' 1199S in Tricolore. So far im really happy with my purchase. My sportbike experience is predominately japanese so there is some uncharted territory for me here. With that comes a laundry list of questions. And while im sure I could sift through the threads searching for a variant of what im looking for, I thought id post them all up right here. Feel free to refer me to an applicable existing thread if you know of it. All advice is greatly appreciated!

Heat
is there a remedy for riding in the "hot seat"? I understand that my bike has an "updated" shield but man, my ass was sweating last weekend and it was only 60F! does it do me, or my rear any favors by putting exhaust wrap on the piping? is there a seat that rides cooler/dissipates heat better than factory?

Anti theft
what do you guys recommend for anti-theft devices? unfortunately lojack isnt available in my area. And beyond that, my biggest concern is someone deciding they want to mount the bike (there aren't many panigales where I live and it drew considerable attention on its first outing which further fuels my paranoia) I was looking into ducatis motion sensor but I would REALLY prefer something that alerted a key-fob instead of just a noisemaker that eventually kills a battery or two. pipe dream?

Track fairings
is the kit offered by ducati the way to go in terms of durability/ease of installation/removal? im not deterred by paying a premium if it means less of a headache everytime i have to fiddle with them.

Sato engine sliders
Anyone have experience with these in action? I purchase a set of them but shortly after have heard that in the event of a slide, the pressure can cause the case to crack. Any truth to this?

Does anyone know the production numbers of the 1199 tri?

Recommendations from long time panigale owners?

A good dry wash option?

Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:23 PM   #2

Heat: wrapping the headers will help, ceramic coatings is even better (for heat emission and for headers itself). A more free flowing exhaust would also reduce some heat emission to the rider. Both DP Race and DP comfort seats protect the riders ass better from heat emission due to the reason that they are much thicker/higher.
Thanks from tyguidry
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:30 PM   #3

Anti-theft

I have been using this one for many years.. no issues consuming battery.. loud.. perimeter sensor works very nice..
https://www.revzilla.com/product/sco...ecurity-system

Makes me feel in peace while leaving the bike parked

The perimeter sensor can be turned off if you leave the bike with people passing all the time

Maybe I will install mine as this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from tyguidry
Old Mar 24th 2017, 04:02 AM   #4

I Ride: 2014 1199S
The heat issue has its own thread but I would suggest that using Water Wetter and wrapping the header with exhaust wrap, will lower engine temperatures. Well it has in my circumstances. The header wrap combined with a better heat shield has worked to re-direct or change the amount of heat I feel.
Thanks from tyguidry
Old Mar 24th 2017, 04:28 AM   #5

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Anti-theft

I have been using this one for many years.. no issues consuming battery.. loud.. perimeter sensor works very nice..
https://www.revzilla.com/product/sco...ecurity-system

Makes me feel in peace while leaving the bike parked

The perimeter sensor can be turned off if you leave the bike with people passing all the time

Maybe I will install mine as this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please be careful putting pictures like this on the forum without a weight warning. You could give Gecko a heart attack. What does that thing weigh I wonder. I must admit I nearly fainted when I saw it.

In all seriousness. Maybe a great alarm for those that need it. Being a Sunday rider I like to sit where I can see it while having breakfast. At home it is locked up in the garage with Dennis the inflatable Doberman sitting right next to it.

tyguidry. Sent you a PM with a couple of thoughts. Welcome to the Forum.

Last edited by bradp51; Mar 24th 2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 04:55 AM   #6

I Ride: 1299s Anniversario #160 ; 15R
Leather pants. You don't feel the heat like you do in jeans.
Thanks from Marmoot and tyguidry
Old Mar 24th 2017, 07:54 AM   #7

I Ride: 2015 1299 S
Heat: I have a Luimoto seat cover with gel insert and heat tape underneath the seat. I've had no issues with a hot posterior even with riding jeans.

Security: I use a Xena disc lock on occasion.

Sliders: I just installed Sato sliders and Speeymoto front axel bobbins. In a Hard crash it probably won't do much to save the bike but in a parking lot tip over or the like I think it'll be effective to save some body work
Thanks from tyguidry
Old Mar 24th 2017, 03:14 PM   #8

I Ride: 2014 1199S
^ Good point!

Forgot the axle sliders and I used frame sliders as well. Just a bit of insurance really for the low-speed stuff.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 06:02 PM   #9

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Heat: I have a Luimoto seat cover with gel insert and heat tape underneath the seat. I've had no issues with a hot posterior even with riding jeans.

Security: I use a Xena disc lock on occasion.

Sliders: I just installed Sato sliders and Speeymoto front axel bobbins. In a Hard crash it probably won't do much to save the bike but in a parking lot tip over or the like I think it'll be effective to save some body work
Funny how different people get different results. I put the Lumimoto seat cover on my standard seat and also put in the Gold Gel insert. One of my early mods about 4 years ago. Made no difference to the heat. My ass never got hot. It has always been the inside of my right leg.
Thanks from Gunny Fitz and GMo73
Old Mar 24th 2017, 10:00 PM   #10

I Ride: Panigale R
I had a low slide on my 1199 with Sato sliders on and I thought my whole left side fairings and Tank was tore up (all Carbon) not a scratch. I just had to replace my Kyle Racing Bar end ,Toe peg on my Lighttech rear set, Sato slider puck, front Rizoma axle slider. Total cost $250 vs thousands of dollars thanks to the Sato Sliders.
I am now a believer in them so I put them on my 1299S and now my Panigale R.

Thermotec Tape under the seat, Carbon heat shield will take care of the seat heat.

Last edited by ScrapperX; Mar 24th 2017 at 10:04 PM.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
owner, panigale, questions