Ducati 1199 Motorcycle Forum Ducati 1199 Panigale Forum

Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Base Model
Rexxer ECU Flash

I am going to put out some basic information that I talked to Dave from Rexxer today about their ECU flash. This is a highly beneficial modification that you can use on your bike to boost performance that even any piggyback fuel module such as Bazzaz cannot. I am not an expert on ECU’s I only know the basics but I talked with Dave over the phone about the advantages and costs of doing an ECU flash to the bike as opposed to a fuel module. Any further input from the members on the forum that may be able to tell a little more on the specifics of how this works are more than welcome to put out the information and if there are any specific questions contact him by email: david@rexxer.com

Why use an ECU flash over a piggyback? The ECU flash uses all the existing sensors in your bike to tune your fueling in real time without delays in signals. When using this ECU flash you need to disconnect the O2 sensors and exhaust valve. If you live in a country or state in which you need to leave these in due to emission/DB requirements you can simply plug them back in. The ECU flash uses the same information that your bike currently uses from sensors, pressure readings, temperature, etc. It simply adjusts and removes some of the limitations, such as the torque limiter, that you would normally have. It gives it a fuel map and is able to serve the same purpose as a PowercommanderV with Autotune, but is more efficient because it uses the bike data that is constantly being sent to your ECU and can richen or lean the fuel mixture as you would change altitude, barometric pressure, temperature, humidity… but with no signal lag. Also it tunes the fuel in EVERY gear, and not just one gear like a piggyback. You can also flash your bike again if you get an exhaust system in the future, it can benefit stock bikes and bikes with exhausts. Also, another important note is if you have any more map updates for your system DO NOT have your dealer upload them, they are optional and you can choose not to receive them, the Rexxer flash already fixes the fueling issues as you can tell.

So in reality the Rexxer ECU flash serves the same purpose as a piggyback fuel module, but with even more capabilities than a piggyback. It removes parameters making the bike more driveable without effecting DTC, ABS or other functions, while giving you more HP throughout all the ranges of the bike and throughout every gear. All you do is go to the Rexxer website and download the flash for your exhaust that you are using. If you have to have your bike serviced all you have to do is flash it back to normal, this is done by hooking up to the diagnostic cable in your passenger seat, then you can reload your ECU flash after services are done. Dealer cannot detect that anything has been done to the bike. I am not a seller of Rexxer or represent them in anyway, I am simply passing on the good word. You need to buy the user kit to be able to flash it yourself… FYI. The two options are:

$300 to flash. Pull ECU off, send it to Rexxer in Virginia, they flash and send it back.
$599 for Rexxer user device. You can flash the bike yourself. Gives you tool, two maps, and includes cables and software.

The following dyno chart follows the Ducati specifications for dynoing a bike, including disconnecting the rear wheel speed sensor. Done without ram air:
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (63.0 KB, 146 views)
Remove Ads
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2

Could not upload the PDF file, that is why it is in a zipped folder. Open the folder, then open the pdf file inside. There is the dyno chart.

Gains shown are:
Stock- 179.39 HP and 90.73 Ft/Lbs Torque
Rexxer Flash- 183.74 HP and 93.15 Ft/Lbs Torque

A 5 HP gain from an ECU flash is almost as much of a gain as the Full Termi System for less than 1/5 the price.

Last edited by elitesoldier357; January 22nd, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
Not seeing much of a difference, particularly below 7k rpms.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
Yes, he successfully duplicated Ducati's flash - good work!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Remember, this is a BONESTOCK bike. You aren't going to see the gains from the other gears. Not to mention Ducati isn't going to remove those parameters. If Ducati's map was so great, why did it have more peak HP without the upmap? Ducati has a disconnect with the company they hire that do the fueling with the bike, the engineers that design the engine do not talk to the company that does the mapping. Hence why their headers on the full system need to be reengineered. Still not convinced?

The full or slip on system is going to give you the most power from your bike, adding an ECU flash such as this will give you the most from your electronics. There is almost a 5 HP gain from stock to the flash. The Rapidbike Race module ($300 more) is only just over a 3 HP gain from the pipes. See Dyno charts below: First is the full system with no module, second is the full system with rapidbike module. Plus the rapidbike module won't adjust your fueling in real time. Its gives you a basic map. Not bashing on Austin Racing, I may be buying their pipes. But remember this map will not adjust to pressure, temp, altitude, etc. and it will have signal lag.
Attached Thumbnails
Rexxer ECU Flash-austinracing-full-system-stock-upmap.jpg   Rexxer ECU Flash-austinracing-full-system-rapidbike.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (63.0 KB, 4 views)
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesoldier357 View Post
Remember, this is a BONESTOCK bike. You aren't going to see the gains from the other gears. Not to mention Ducati isn't going to remove those parameters. If Ducati's map was so great, why did it have more peak HP without the upmap? Ducati has a disconnect with the company they hire that do the fueling with the bike, the engineers that design the engine do not talk to the company that does the mapping. Hence why their headers on the full system need to be reengineered. Still not convinced?

The full or slip on system is going to give you the most power from your bike, adding an ECU flash such as this will give you the most from your electronics. There is almost a 5 HP gain from stock to the flash. The Rapidbike Race module ($300 more) is only just over a 3 HP gain from the pipes. See Dyno charts below: First is the full system with no module, second is the full system with rapidbike module. Plus the rapidbike module won't adjust your fueling in real time. Its gives you a basic map. Not bashing on Austin Racing, I may be buying their pipes. But remember this map will not adjust to pressure, temp, altitude, etc. and it will have signal lag.
I don't think anyone is claiming the stock map is great? Personally, for a bike that clearly needs some work in the tuning dept, I was expecting more. By more I mean, better fueling and throttle response not HP. In looking at the torque graph it's almost identical, However, it does look like they were able to smooth things out just a touch from 3-5k? I'm sure greater improvements can be had once and performance AF and exhaust are added. However, the whole sending the ECU out to be flashed deal is a bit...... concerning for me.

Last edited by rm4two; January 22nd, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm4two View Post
I don't think anyone is claiming the stock map is great? Personally, for a bike that clearly needs some work in the tuning dept, I was expecting more. By more I mean, better fueling and throttle response not HP. In looking at the torque graph it's almost identical, However, it does look like they were able to smooth things out just a touch from 3-5k?
Dave's words, "Improvements are less heat, unrestricted torque limiter, remove lean surge under 4k, better drivability for sure and more power at peak which most complaints are not the topend anyway but the drivability." If you want to talk to him about specifics I would suggest emailing or calling him.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:00 PM   #8

Just an FYI,

I contacted Rexxer back in Sept when I first saw the flash update on the Motowheels site. Matt Walker replied back. The exchange is below;

"Hello, I have a few questions about this remap. First, will this flash void my Ducati warranty? Second, if I have to bring the bike to the dealer for any work will I have to send you my ECU first to have it re-flashed back to stock? Lastly, If the remap is lost (short of sending the ECU back to you guys again) is there any way to get it back?"

"It’s really up to our dealer if they want to void your warranty. The map shouldn't ever get lost, there is not real way of doing that. I can’t send you the map because they re all part of my system here. You can send your ECU back to us to have it reverted back to its original state anytime.

Matt Walker
"
Thanks from CANNONBALL

Last edited by rm4two; January 22nd, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #9

i think i'll go for the full rapidbike racing module...
don't want to get in an argument over warrenty...

grtz

Koen
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesoldier357 View Post
The following dyno chart follows the Ducati specifications for dynoing a bike, including disconnecting the rear wheel speed sensor. Done without ram air:
Since this was done without RAM AIR will the bike run lean when RAM Air is applied when riding? Probably not since the o2 sensor is disconnected. Other than that the increases look very good and the fuel/air mixture looks pretty good.

Will he be making a map for the Full Termi System?

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
ecu, flash, rexxer