Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree6Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 25th 2012, 02:50 PM   #1

I Ride: Current: 12 1199 Base ABS, 09 Ape RS125 07 CRF250R SM, 08 CRF100 x2, 10 SH150i, 04 NSR50
Collection of Ducati 1199 Reviews

Hopefully we get this as a sticky and we just keep adding to the list of reviews:

Motorcycle-USA:
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale First Ride - Motorcycle USA

VisorDown: First Ride: Ducati 1199 Panigale S review - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

About.com: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale Motorcycle Review

Gizmag: Ducati's flagship 1199 Panigale: the full story

The Telegraph: Ducati Panigale 1199 review - Telegraph

Asphalt and Rubber: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/revi...1199-panigale/

Sport Rider: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S First Ride | Impressions - Sport Rider magazine

Cycle News: Cycle News - February 23, 2012

Motorcyclist: Ducati 1199 Panigale S | First Ride - Motorcyclist Magazine

This is Scunthorpe: http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Du...ail/story.html
Thanks from davev

Last edited by turnone; Feb 27th 2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Additional review.

Old Feb 25th 2012, 05:55 PM   #2

turnone, et tu brute...please stop already with the "Check this review out..." post.
Let me help out the rest of the Ducatista who are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Panigale...
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE RAGS THAT ARE HOLDING THE CORPORATE LINE!
Here is the review playbook:
FOR WRITE-UPS:
#1- Write from the brochure (verbatim if necessary) to take up as much space as possible in your review. This limits space for your personal take of the bike...
#2- When writing about your personal experience: do #1. Then follow Kevin Duke's model: (fill in the blank) is the best bike ever!; (fill in the blank) feels very fast, with a lot of power everywhere, much better than the previous model, more agile, feels lighter(etc...)
#3 When referring to the BMW S1000RR, only compare the brakes (especially since they use the same bosch electronics). NEVER COMPARE POWER IN ANYWAY, UNLESS YOU SAY, "It is difficult to compare the power until we have a head to head test..."

FOR GO-PRO VIDEO:
#1- Place the Polarize filter over the TFT screen so that there will not be an accidental view of the speedometer during footage of riding in the straights.
#2- only acceptable views: do #1 first, make sure that the sun distorts the view of the speedo. Basically, use the Neil Hodgson model: focus on the Rear tire, front shock, Face shot of the helmet that the rider is using; Zoom out to get the brake/ clutch reservoir, top triple clamp, clipons, windshield, TFT (out of focus with mirror image of the helmet that the rider is wearing); lastly, view of the trailing bike or the leading bike, and shoot of the sky as much as possible?...

All I can say, Thank God for MOTORCYCLE USA.com- ADAM WAHEED for having the journalistic courage of giving the most balanced review on the Paigale
Oh well, looks like Adam won't be invited to the Press Launch of the 799 Panigale...!

MOTODOC
Proud to be a test pilot for the Panigale S with ABS
Old Feb 25th 2012, 06:02 PM   #3

I Ride: '12 1199 Panigale ABS
Not sure if you noticed or not, but when you put it in "race" mode the speed drops off to the lower corner of the dash with the lap timer front and center. If you look at the videos, even through the distortion, you can see the lap timer not KPH.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Originally Posted by bwaide View Post
Not sure if you noticed or not, but when you put it in "race" mode the speed drops off to the lower corner of the dash with the lap timer front and center. If you look at the videos, even through the distortion, you can see the lap timer not KPH.
Thanks bwaide, my point exactly. Whatever it takes to make sure the speedo has limited exposure, if any at all.
This is an interesting trend. When you get a chance, go to YOUTUBE and type in the search box : (any Ducati model, other than the Desmosedici) top speed run... YOU WILL NEVER SEE THE SPEEDO, IF YOU DO IT WILL NOT SHOW THE TOP SPEED OF THE BIKE?
Again, Top Speed is really not important, but the mantra is "Checkmate", I am sure that includes the TOP SPEED category (in stock trim), S1000RR is included in that Chess move, I think? If not, please list the bikes that are not included in the Checkmate move

MOTODOC
Proud test pilot of the Panigale S with ABS
Old Feb 25th 2012, 06:33 PM   #5

I Ride: Current: 12 1199 Base ABS, 09 Ape RS125 07 CRF250R SM, 08 CRF100 x2, 10 SH150i, 04 NSR50
Originally Posted by motodoc View Post
turnone, SteveB, et tu brute...please stop already with the "Check this review out..." post.
Let me help out the rest of the Ducatista who are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Panigale...
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE RAGS THAT ARE HOLDING THE CORPORATE LINE!
All I can say, Thank God for MOTORCYCLE USA.com- ADAM WAHEED for having the journalistic courage of giving the most balanced review on the Paigale
Oh well, looks like Adam won't be invited to the Press Launch of the 799 Panigale...!
MOTODOC
I'm posting them b/c I like to read them. And love that others do to. Sure, most is the same info over and over. But there are a few nit picks that have been mentioned, great info to know IMO. Also good arm chair riding info for those who choose to. It has been a warm winter here in Cincinnati area, but still not riding weather for me.

Motorcycle-USA is my favorite as well as he seems to be more forthright with their ride reviews, especially the shootouts are great.

Look at some of the pros and cons mentioned by him:
Pros:
Ergonomics "substantial improvement"
"ground clearance is still high"
"little doubt that it offers the lowest curb weight in its class"
Clutch "effectiveness of the oil-bathed unit"
"spot-on fuel-injection"
"engine spools up explosively fast for a Twin"
"far reaching top-end power surge"
Clutch "improved tremendously" "easier to launch and control at parking lot speeds."
"steers with little effort" "reassuring level of feel" "no dead zones" "Side-to-side flickability was good too" "doesn’t require anywhere near the amount of muscle as before for immediate direction changes" "Steering precision is great, and the bike goes exactly where the rider commands"
Chassis "resisted the urge to pitch fore or aft under heavy application of throttle or brakes"
Electronics "Perhaps what’s most impressive about the electronics is the synergy between all functions" "throttle offers near perfect calibration in both Sport and Race modes"
"completely sold on the three-way adjustable engine braking functionality"
Brakes "hard to improve on the 1198’s braking package but the new 1199 does just that"
"total package is impressive"

Cons:
Ergonomics "(and non-adjustable) foot controls"
and the footpegs continue to offer inadequate grip
"Finding neutral still isn’t as simple as it should be, yet it is better"
TC "inconsistent results with it"
"While it didn’t blow us away with its acceleration performance or functionality of the traction control"

His summary for highs and lows:
“Highs
•More traditional ergonomics, better interface
•Lightweight and manuverable!
•Quick, neutral steering; great rear suspension action

Lows
•Engine could have more power
•Inconsistent traction control application; no wheelie control
•Could be less expensive”

Seems like he offers a lot of positives, but really doesn't seem to be too excited about the bike. Not sure why, he seems like he wrote this while in a bad mood.

Regarding the "lows":
If true RWHP is anywhere above 160 and he is asking for more power, this is a HUGE positive! That means the bike is easy to ride fast.
Price. Of course we would all like the price to be lower. The tested bike was $24,000 USD. That's a lot when the big four Japanese are around $14K.
Regarding traction control, I agree, I hope it's consistent. Wheelie control, some see as a positive. http://ducati1199.com/ducati-1199/34...e-control.html

I look forward to this year's shootouts.

Chris

Last edited by turnone; Feb 25th 2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Mistake in the pros list and cons list.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 06:59 PM   #6

[QUOTE=turnone;3178]...
Motorcycle-USA is my favorite as well as he seems to be more forthright with their ride reviews, especially the shootouts are great.
Look at some of the pros and cons mentioned by him:...
Pros:...(brochure info...)
Cons:..
His summary for highs and lows:
“Highs...(brochure info...)
Lows...
Seems like he offers a lot of positives (brochure info...), but really doesn't seem to be too excited about the bike. Not sure why, he seems like he wrote this while in a bad mood.
Regarding the "lows": ...
I look forward to this year's shootouts.

NOTE HOW HE HAS NOT POSTED/ UPLOADED ANY OF HIS VIDEO (or was he not allowed to...?)

MOTODOC
Proud pilot of the Panigale S with ABS
Old Feb 25th 2012, 07:29 PM   #7

Thanks, Turnone, for taking the time to post all of the current reviews in one location. Definitely very helpful.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 08:21 PM   #8

I come from jap bikes and as soon as I saw the 1199 I already spotted something I knew I wouldn't like and it was confirmed in one of the reviews. The kickstand is a pain in the ass to get down. It may not be aesthetically appealing, but I loved the rods that stick out halfway up the kickstands on the jap bikes. Put your heel between the peg and the shifter and you could find the kickstand every time. May not be a big deal to some, but it's one of those things that just makes a bike easier to own.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 08:27 PM   #9

Originally Posted by motodoc View Post
Thanks bwaide, my point exactly. Whatever it takes to make sure the speedo has limited exposure, if any at all.
This is an interesting trend. When you get a chance, go to YOUTUBE and type in the search box : (any Ducati model, other than the Desmosedici) top speed run... YOU WILL NEVER SEE THE SPEEDO, IF YOU DO IT WILL NOT SHOW THE TOP SPEED OF THE BIKE?
Again, Top Speed is really not important, but the mantra is "Checkmate", I am sure that includes the TOP SPEED category (in stock trim), S1000RR is included in that Chess move, I think? If not, please list the bikes that are not included in the Checkmate move

MOTODOC
Proud test pilot of the Panigale S with ABS
Don't worry, I'll set up my go-pro with the speedo in plain site and do a top speed run on a closed course once I'm done with break in. My 08' blade would pull hard up until an indicated 175 then the #s started adding on a little slower all the way up to 186 with the shift light going crazy...had it set 500 below redline.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Originally Posted by bwaide View Post
...It may not be aesthetically appealing, but I loved the rods that stick out halfway up the kickstands on the jap bikes. Put your heel between the peg and the shifter and you could find the kickstand every time. May not be a big deal to some, but it's one of those things that just makes a bike easier to own.
True story with a witness: I came as close to crashing as you can get without actually hitting the pavement on my VTR1000F about 10 years ago and the little ball on the kick stand poked me in the back of my left leg, just below the knee, so hard that it looked like I had been shot by a small caliber pistol. Clean round hole with blood running oozing out. Weirdest part is that it didn't even penetrate or tear my 'Dockers' khaki's at the time. Quality pants
It was a nose wheelie/stoppie gone bad when I locked the front tire. Hit my nuts too, so it took a few minutes before my friend noticed the 'grease' on my pants, turned out it was blood running down the back of my leg. We were on the way to lunch, so I walked into the bathroom lifted my pants leg and found out that it was in need of some stitches. So I went outside, hoped aboard and rode to the emergency room close to my house.

Fun times. At least now I know it won't happen on the 1199

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, collection, ducati, review, reviews, ride report

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.