Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 08:21 PM   #1

I Ride: 2012 1199S ABS
Dumb question about transporting the pani in a pickup

I have a nice Tacoma that I would rather not ruin. I would like to use it to transport the pani when needed and was looking into a wheel chock to help secure it. What is the best wheel chock to mount into the bed of a pickup that comes with a nice setup and mounting hardware and is not going to end up tearing up the plastic bed liner or causing the metal to rust out if I put holes in it since it always rains here?

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:02 PM   #2

I Ride: 2013 S ABS!!!
Originally Posted by gnance View Post
I have a nice Tacoma that I would rather not ruin. I would like to use it to transport the pani when needed and was looking into a wheel chock to help secure it. What is the best wheel chock to mount into the bed of a pickup that comes with a nice setup and mounting hardware and is not going to end up tearing up the plastic bed liner or causing the metal to rust out if I put holes in it since it always rains here?

Im interested in this as well, I saw a bunch of trucks around COTA with bikes in the bed but I didnt see anything in there. They were just ratcheted down tight I think...?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:14 PM   #3

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Get the pitbull trailer restraint.

http://ducati1199.com/ducati-1199/42...-tie-down.html
Thanks from mark419ny, MacaveliMC and knutts
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:17 PM   #4

I Ride: 2012 Panigale S ABS
I think most people just strap the bike down using canyon dancers - Canyon Dancer Inc. They would usually strap down the rear as well. I used to do that when I transported my previous bikes, but one time one of the straps came loose so the bike started to lean to one side. Good possibility of the bike falling over if the straps get loose and you go over a few bumps. Also, just strapping down the bike alone requires you to strap it down real tight, which compresses the suspension. This increases the chance of you blowing out a shock.

I now transport my bikes using a combination of a Baxley sport chock and canyon dancers. Baxley Trailer Sport Chock Never had an issue yet. Knock on wood.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Originally Posted by huckjai View Post
I think most people just strap the bike down using canyon dancers - Canyon Dancer Inc. They would usually strap down the rear as well. I used to do that when I transported my previous bikes, but one time one of the straps came loose so the bike started to lean to one side. Good possibility of the bike falling over if the straps get loose and you go over a few bumps. Also, just strapping down the bike alone requires you to strap it down real tight, which compresses the suspension. This increases the chance of you blowing out a shock.

I now transport my bikes using a combination of a Baxley sport chock and canyon dancers. Baxley Trailer Sport Chock Never had an issue yet. Knock on wood.
Do you have the baxley chock mounted into the trailer/truck or just leave it free standing?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
Yeah, the Pitbull system is great too, but it has to be bolted down. So if you are using your Tacoma's truck bed, you would have to drill holes in it.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:26 PM   #7

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Originally Posted by huckjai View Post
Yeah, the Pitbull system is great too, but it has to be bolted down. So if you are using your Tacoma's truck bed, you would have to drill holes in it.
Isn't that the point of owning a truck, to haul shit?
Thanks from RSR racer
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:28 PM   #8

Originally Posted by gnance View Post
Do you have the baxley chock mounted into the trailer/truck or just leave it free standing?
I actually have the Baxley bolt down kit as well, but I never installed it. I use the chock in my trailer. I have two anchors on the left and right corners which I strap the canyon dancers to, so it keeps the bike and chock pressed against the trailer, like how they have it in Baxley's picture gallery. I also put one strap behind the front tire strapped to the anchor points so it is also pulling the bike and chock against the trailer for added security. Never had an issue towing them to several tracks, 160-800 miles away. The bolt down kit would be safest, but I'm too lazy to bolt and unbolt it from my trailer every time as I use the chock in the garage too.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:30 PM   #9

Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
Isn't that the point of owning a truck, to haul shit?
Yes it is, but OP said he did not want to ruin his Tacoma and not drill holes in it, so thought I mentioned he would have to drill holes in the bed if he were to get the Pitbull system. I know a few people who drive trucks but don't use it to haul stuff. They say it's cool driving a truck. LOL. To each their own.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 09:31 PM   #10

Cool, I think I am going to go with the baxley chock/canyon dancers/ and maybe order the tie down mounts from sato that attaches to where the passenger pegs go since I don't use that. That way you can anchor the back too. Trying to avoid drilling holes in the bed of the truck and also dont' want to have to compress the forks of the bike too hard.

Thanks.

BTW does the standard baxley sport bike chock work for the pani size wise?

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
dumb, pani, pickup, question, transporting