Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:43 PM   #1

I Ride: Tricolore
Thoughts on ABS

I have never owned a bike with ABS. I don't ride in the rain and I don't race. I've seen various opinions on the option. For those that have experience with it, is it worth having?

Old Mar 30th 2012, 01:04 PM   #2

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 Base and 2005 Ducati 749
I personally think ABS is good for a beginner but its definitely not needed. I also feel if you get used to the electronics and then hop on an older bike you will be in trouble! I know alot of people are buying S models but personally to me an S is a waste of money unless you are utilizing the DES. The owner of my dealer even said the S is a waste of money outside of the DES which even he think makes more sense on a multistrada. On top of that, the S is going to be way heavier than a base without abs. He said he doesn't know why Ducati is saying they are the same weight when they are atleast 10 (w/abs) to 15 (w/o abs) pounds apart. Somebody probably eventually might sue them for that. I look at it this way....my base model w/o abs, full termis, Leds, and aero kitted (bst wheels will be installed later)...Im spending about 24k total....s model being 24 plus termis you are at 30k and who cares about the forged wheels....they are the same price for a pair of bst carbon which save you weigh more weight......so to answer your question haha....its worth having for novice but if you have been riding for years its not needed....hope this helps even though I gave you alot haha
Old Mar 30th 2012, 02:19 PM   #3

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Depends. People drive like fucking retards in my city, and if I grab a handful of brake when I need to stop instantly I'd prefer that to happen instead of ending up on the hood of the car in front of you.

If it saves you from ONE crash, it has paid for itself.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 03:08 PM   #4

I Ride: My 1199s every chance I get
Originally Posted by SoonerNation View Post
I have never owned a bike with ABS. I don't ride in the rain and I don't race. I've seen various opinions on the option. For those that have experience with it, is it worth having?
Good safety feature for the street and can be turned off for the track, if you want. I especially see where ABS would be a plus if one commutes in all weather. It I was caught out in the rain, I would like the safety net of having ABS, just in case, though not required.

However, as I do ~50/50 track v/s road work, I'm not bothered either way. I went without ABS on my 's' mainly to save the 2.2KG.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 03:09 PM   #5

When panic sets in riders typically make one of two mistakes while trying to stop in an emergency--they brake too hard and lock the front (and crash) or they brake too little (because they've never explored the limits of traction) and hit whatever it is they were trying to avoid. Being able to depend on a system that factors both panic and skill out of the rider equation can't be anything but good.

On the track ABS is largely unnecessary because your brake markers and traction are going to be relatively consistent every lap. Add cows, dogs, minivans and rollerbladers into your average MotoGP and you can bet that they'd adopt ABS in a second.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 05:16 PM   #6
vik

I Ride: Panigale 1199 Base ABS
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
When panic sets in riders typically make one of two mistakes while trying to stop in an emergency--they brake too hard and lock the front (and crash) or they brake too little (because they've never explored the limits of traction) and hit whatever it is they were trying to avoid. Being able to depend on a system that factors both panic and skill out of the rider equation can't be anything but good.

On the track ABS is largely unnecessary because your brake markers and traction are going to be relatively consistent every lap. Add cows, dogs, minivans and rollerbladers into your average MotoGP and you can bet that they'd adopt ABS in a second.

+1

infact those of you who have never used abs on a bike , you should practice breaking with abs, once you get the hang of it, it a big confidence booster!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 05:37 PM   #7

Abs adds weight and complexity that cannot be turned off. It adds feet of extra hose, additional connectors, fluid pathways, computers, and kills feedback (regardless of weather it's active or inactive)

On the other hand it could save your butt when you go charging around a blind bend and there's a load of sand just dumped from some boneheads truck (or a deer or an old lady in a wheelchair -you name it)

It's a tough choice, if you want the ultimate in performance and feel then opt out. If you want an extra margin of safety get abs.

Last edited by flynbulldog; Mar 30th 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 05:42 PM   #8

I Ride: Tricolore
Sounds like I wont miss it since I've never had it on any of my other bikes over the years. If I rode in all weather conditions then it sounds like something to have.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 05:44 PM   #9

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Abs adds weight and complexity that cannot be turned off. It adds feet of extra hose, additional connectors, fluid pathways, computers, and kills feedback (regardless of weather it's active or inactive)

On the other hand it could save your butt when you go charging around a blind bend and there's a load of sand just dumped from some boneheads truck (or a dear or an old lady in a wheelchair -you name it)

It's a tough choice, if you want the ultimate in performance and feel then opt out. If you want an extra margin of safety get abs.
The same can be said for DTC......
Old Mar 30th 2012, 05:52 PM   #10

Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
The same can be said for DTC......
Not at all, dtc doesn't insulate you from the mechanical feel the way abs does. However, throttle by wire (which allows modes, dtc, ebc) does cut you off from the engine. It takes ultimate control and feel out of your hands and puts a level of computer control between you and the bike.

I'm not a fan of a computer layer between me and my vehicles but I'll have to admit the throttle by wire on my multistrada works far better than it does on my BMW

Last edited by flynbulldog; Mar 30th 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
abs, thoughts