Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 26th 2012, 09:58 PM   #1

Status on Austin Racing System?

Ok so I've been creeping in all the 1199 forums I can find and have even been following the progress on Austin Racing's site and I am perplexed by the lack of any new info regarding the exhaust system for the 1199.

The original AR dyno run vid was posted on the 26th of Feb, with the subsequent teardown most likely done around that time as well. I know theres been sponsor events AR has had to attend but its been 2 months to the day and I am really really anxious to see anything new about a full system for this bike. I'm not expecting miracles and I understand how smaller businesses work, but I know there had to have been at least some mock ups and some prototyping going on between now and then.

If anyone has any insight or maybe a leaked pic or anything to whet my appetite i would be grateful. I am not a fan of the Termi's so thats not an option, Akrapovic and Austin Racing are really the only others that even pique my interest.

Old Apr 27th 2012, 05:07 AM   #2

I second the inquiry- maybe Rich could chime in and post some spy pix?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 07:56 AM   #3

We are on it but due to the complexity if the silencers it's a very complicated build.
What I can tell you is the system will not now be based around our GP2 link pipe design as there is not enough space for that.
It will be similar design to termi but ours will mimmick the sleeker lines of the standard silencers and have slash cut style exits.
We will also be looking at a carbon shield possibly running the length of the silencer, waiting to see what looks best.
We will offer them with db killers that work and the option to retain your valve which is essential for uk track days.

I appreciate it's taking a long time but what's the point in an average system!
We want this to be the best possible to go with the best bike out there.

Will post up as we progress.

Pcv will also be ready in 2-3 months so Dynojet uk tell me.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:40 AM   #4

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Hi Rich and thanks for the update.
Just for your info we were told by Duc tech that they tried carbon on the silencers and it would not survive because of the heat!!
Really looking forward to seeing and hearing your system when its ready
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:09 PM   #5

I Ride: My 1199s every chance I get
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
We will offer them with db killers that work and the option to retain your valve which is essential for uk track days.
Why do we keep hearing "retain your valve which is essential for uk track days" ? What is this founded on.

The valve will have little effect on the outcome of a static noise test @ 5K RPM. It will have even less of an affect for tracks were they measure while riding by at full tilt.

I'm still under the impression that the real issue with the two track day blunders is down to technique and interpretation of the testing standards. As we've stated before, 0.5 meters at 45 deg would put the meter directly in the line of the exhaust - would be like standing directly behind my 1198s. I feel I need to acquire a sound meter and conduct a test myself.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:53 PM   #6

The valve helps to lower db levels in the static test by around 5db.

Your correct the big problem is the testers!!!

If they tested at each track consistently as they should: 45 Degrees from pipe end at 0.5m distance at 5500rpm on 1000cc plus bike then we would not have the problems we have.

They dont test like this at 50% of days as they have not got a clue what they are doing.

We test all our systems like this and they all pass the 105 and 102 days with killers inserted.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 01:03 PM   #7

I Ride: My 1199s every chance I get
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
If they tested at each track consistently as they should: 45 Degrees from pipe end at 0.5m distance at 5500rpm on 1000cc plus bike then we would not have the problems we have.
Agree - for some reason they think this should be 45 deg from the bike, not pipe end..
Old Apr 27th 2012, 01:06 PM   #8

Yep, how do we put pressure on the event organisers and track owners to police it correctly?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 01:32 PM   #9

I am in no way wanting you guys to rush something out, I was merely hoping for some news (which you definitely provided). It's kinda crappy that the exhaust valve is gonna need to be retained, the only track that I might ride on with noise restrictions is Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and I doubt I would be able to find a way to ride the bike with stock pipes there (92 db limit...wtf!!).

Or are you saying that I will have the option of keeping the valve, personally I feel that if it doesnt directly translate to performance its dead weight. Perhaps in the final product you guys could come up with a removeable section of pipe where the valve would go that could be swapped out with an unobstructed piece...who knows.

Also thanks for the heads up on PCV...now just need an update from Bazzaz...
Old Apr 27th 2012, 01:48 PM   #10

I Ride: 1199, '05 R1.
I'm going to take a ride out tomorrow to meet the guys at AR.
They're about a 45 minute ride from me so I'll report back on my findings.

I'm looking to get their levers and a fuel cap and whatever else my alredy straining credit card will allow!
Their stuff is mint1 As mentioned in another post I saw it at the NEC show for V4, BMW etc
Not only that, they had an ultra trick, one off, 1198 ex. system in Inconnel. Wicked..!

I spoke to the owner, Rich, today. He sounds like a pretty switched on bloke.
He explained that I could look at all the stuff he had available but would only briefly comment on the exhaust.
I asked why and he simply said "tooling".
He then remarked that, If, I or anyone else for that matter, wanted a full system, If I put up about 20-25K, I could have it by the middle of May.!

Anyone got some spare cash burning a hole in their pocket...?....!!

Perhaps a forum group buy..?

P.s. If I win the lottery tonight I'm having the first one..!

Last edited by Beanflicker; Apr 27th 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
austin, racing, status, system