Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree87Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 28th 2015, 03:55 AM   #81

I Ride: '16 Pani R, 1098R Bayliss, KTM1090R.
Having owned over a dozen dukes and multiple R models, I a well aware what a homologation special is primarily made for. It is not solely limited to that however, nor should it be because of internet forum opinions, usually from folk who don't own them in the first place.
To formulate your opinions of the limitations of anything from press junkets and other PR is no different to the guys who buy everything on the strength of the magazine reviews each year. (The same guys who have spent hour after hour on here justifying why their model choice is better than everyone else's, instead of just getting out there, buying what they want and enjoying the bloody thing). Its a rather sad game to be playing, when really we should all be congratulating each other on having great taste in bikes and patting ourselves on the back for living the dream.
Thanks from Torquesp and kismetcapitan

Old Jun 28th 2015, 04:31 AM   #82

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
I don't even know what you are arguing about. Nowhere in any of my posts did I say the R model is limited to anything. I even specifically said, on multiple occasions, that you (read: anybody) can do whatever you want with this bike or any bike.

This whole thing started because somebody was bitching the R didn't come with LED lights. And our point is that is because it is built as a race bike, and only the minimal street gear was put on it just to make it legal. Ducati left the LEDs off on purpose, because it is intended to be a race bike.

Those things are facts.

As far as me personally, I feel the R is a complete waste of money and senseless as a street bike (compared to the Base or S model anyway). The primary difference in the R is the lighter motor internals for quicker revving. That is neither needed nor necessary on the street. Having a motor that revs from 5k-10k a second or so quicker isn't going to get somebody to grocery store any quicker or through the mountains any quicker. Nobody is timing how fast someone gets from red light to red light.

So in my opinion, getting an R instead of the base or S when it is just a street bike is ridiculous and a huge waste. But like I said, that is just my personal opinion. Others may vary.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 07:25 AM   #83

I've got a 1299S and am extremely happy with it,
Could have had a R but my use is primarily only for street use, however I do like to look at the R

There are those that want the best, nothing wrong with that if its for track use,
for street use, well they got it wrong, 1299 is king!
Thanks from Chaotic
Old Jun 28th 2015, 08:45 AM   #84

I Ride: '16 Pani R, 1098R Bayliss, KTM1090R.
Ahhhh damn, thats 2 people now.
After 30 years plus of riding bikes I can now see that I've never actually known which bike was right for me. :-(
I'm off to sell both of my Rs now and hang my head in shame..................... NOT! :-)
Thanks from Chaotic
Old Jun 28th 2015, 09:04 AM   #85

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
I lol'ed
Thanks from 990Glen
Old Jun 29th 2015, 06:09 PM   #86

I Ride: '97 YZF1000 Superbike, '14 1199R
Originally Posted by ScrapperX View Post
To drop 14 lbs is really hard to do without spending a lot of money. Trust me I did it to my base 1199 which is 396 lbs wet 100% full tank and its very expensive to do if you pay retail price. The cheapest biggest savings is the battery retail @ $165 saves about 4 lbs but I heard the 1299 comes with Li batteries?? I may be confused with the SL not sure about that one.

But after that, the exhaust is the next biggest weight savings (5-7 lbs) at $4K, CF Gas Tank $3K (4lbs) , wheels (3 lbs savings to the forge Al wheels a lot more to the Cast wheels) at $3-4K, DID chain sprocket and carrier group (2 lbs), CF fairings $4K (2 lbs). After that every thing else in nickel and dime in ounces in savings. Of course you can get the Magnesium Air Box @ $5K, Mag Triple for $1200. Remove the ABS saves about 10 lbs.
Think about how much money we could save and weight we could remove if we just stopped eating. Concentration on the bike weight is silly. You want 14 pounds, put the double cheeseburger down and step away from the table.

Where bike weight is concerned, one should think of the overall benefit the modification can have. While a lighter pipe alone is great for starting and stopping, wheels will give a much greater benefit over all aspects of performance. If you don't believe me, try riding my 97 YZF with the stock wheels vs. the cast magnesium.

I had a choice when I came back into the market and for the first time could afford an R (2014). No based model will every be an R; when you buy it or when you sell it, regardless of the changes you make. All the mods are freebies to the new owner. My YZF has about 15k of mods from back then and it's current value is $1200 at best.

I love my 2014R, but it sucks as a street bike; especially with the upmap and pipe. It absolutely hates part throttle, has stalled two or three times when I've been downshifting on the street and transition off to on throttle. HOWEVER, as one rider once told me when I was considering which bike to buy, BMW or Panigale, the Panigale has a soul and character and I love this. It reminds me of a horse I once had. All it wants to do is go, and that my friends is character.

I will never race my R, but when I want to get on the gas I have no complaints. Well that's not true. If I could, I would have an 899 as well, and a track only bike to replace my aging '97 YZF (we maybe).
Thanks from Mutt1979
Old Jun 29th 2015, 07:00 PM   #87

Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
I don't even know what you are arguing about. Nowhere in any of my posts did I say the R model is limited to anything. I even specifically said, on multiple occasions, that you (read: anybody) can do whatever you want with this bike or any bike.

This whole thing started because somebody was bitching the R didn't come with LED lights. And our point is that is because it is built as a race bike, and only the minimal street gear was put on it just to make it legal. Ducati left the LEDs off on purpose, because it is intended to be a race bike.

Those things are facts.

As far as me personally, I feel the R is a complete waste of money and senseless as a street bike (compared to the Base or S model anyway). The primary difference in the R is the lighter motor internals for quicker revving. That is neither needed nor necessary on the street. Having a motor that revs from 5k-10k a second or so quicker isn't going to get somebody to grocery store any quicker or through the mountains any quicker. Nobody is timing how fast someone gets from red light to red light.

So in my opinion, getting an R instead of the base or S when it is just a street bike is ridiculous and a huge waste. But like I said, that is just my personal opinion. Others may vary.
When I need to go the the grocery store, I felt the titanium internals were important, that extra second did in fact help me cut in front of the mom with 5 screaming kids in line with a buggy full of groceries.

P.S. From light to light, I run deez streets.

So R model all the way.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 05:21 AM   #88

I Ride: 2015 1199R
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post

Those things are facts.

....and they do for sure
Old Jul 8th 2015, 02:14 PM   #89
Banned

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299 Base
Where is Mutt?

Even for trips to the grocery store "just get the R"

I'd like to have a new Lambo Huracan for my grocery getter btw
Thanks from Mutt1979
Old Jul 11th 2015, 03:51 AM   #90

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R
TadaaaaaaaRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My dealer couldn't get me a Saturn 5 rocket, so I settled for the R instead.

As for useless on the street I disagree. It's perfect. I'm hearing a lot about snatchy throttles and jerky round town on the 1299. That will happen because of the gearing and low down torque. The R is geared for top end and where it's power is, so for round town the R is very well mannered, sure, heavy on the left arm, but I can deal with that.

It's not just the performance with the R, it's form and function. It's about having something differen't, something unique that not many others have, to quote a journo "It's a very special piece of exotica" yes, indeed.

Grocery store on it? I wouldn't dream of letting my butler near it!
Thanks from Twistedracer and royal

Last edited by Mutt1979; Jul 11th 2015 at 03:55 AM.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
2015, ducati, panigale, pictures