Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 1st 2016, 09:16 PM   #1

I Ride: 1299S
Quick shifter issues

Hello all.

Had the opportunity on a nice long open piece of road to open up my 1299S and go through all of the gears full throttle and use the quick shifter. Now I'm not new to quick shifters as I had a Bazzaz with QS on my previous bike and using the QS on the Bazzaz was faultless. What I found opening up the 1299 and using the QS was a rather unusual issue of the QS hesitating in the top of the rev range. Lower down in the rev range the shifts were silky smooth and absolutely faultless but intermittently I found the shifts when up in the 9 10 and 11K range it felt like the ignition was being cut way too long. A couple of times I nearly slid half way up the tank as the bike took what felt like half a second to engage the next gear.

Now before someone jumps on and says this is a warranty issue just take it back to my dealer, The bike is booked in for my dealer to inspect this issue but I wanted to put it out to the community and see if this is a issue other rides have also come across

The quick shifting full throttle in the upper rev range is no where near as silky smooth as it is down in the lower rev range and I would have thought that the quick shifts in the top end of the rev range open throttle would have been even more silky than in the lower rev range.

Has any other members come across this issue ? And it is not my shifting or lack of it as I have the gear lever at its lowest point so to get a good strong up shift when lifting my left boot
Thanks from Bengarzy

Old Mar 1st 2016, 09:21 PM   #2

I Ride: current: 15' panigale 1299 past: 07' R1, 92' GSXR 1100
Sir! I realized this issue happening for me many times! Or maybe even hitting up shift and it would go in gear then quickly back down to previous gear, it it wouldn't engage in a gear at all, and then I have to kick it up with clutch to get it back
Thanks from Ijustwantone
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:55 PM   #3

Check the bolts holding the rear set? If they are lose could be a problem, also I have seen some play on the gear shift lever bush making changes and foot / lever co ordination a bit sensitive
But I'm new to the 1299 so also just learning from all
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:19 AM   #4

A friend of mine once tied the bike into trailer, and doing so accidently tied one cable around shifter rod. He tried to tie down from rearsets. It bent shifter a bit causing exactly same symptoms you described.

And I have found in my shifter bikes, that lubricating shifter inner/outer rod joint keeps up silky smooth operation. It is almost as routine operation to me as lubricating chain. I use WD40 there.
Thanks from NotR1GSXZXR and Ijustwantone
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 02:12 AM   #5
SPJ

Not had the problem you describe however I've always found the quickshifter to be a bit slow. If there isn't a fault with it consider Tuneboy which gives you the option of speeding things up.
Thanks from Ijustwantone and tadashi
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Not had the problem you describe however I've always found the quickshifter to be a bit slow. If there isn't a fault with it consider Tuneboy which gives you the option of speeding things up.
SPJ with a tuneboy can you go in and adjust ignition cut times ?
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 09:26 PM   #7

I Ride: 1299
I feel the exact same on mine. I learned to open the throttle ever so slightly less then wide open. Seems like that solved my problem. Instead of 10/10 open it 9 or 9.5/10. And I Leno the exact feeling you're talking about sliding half way up the tank lol
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 09:49 AM   #8
SPJ

Originally Posted by Ijustwantone View Post
SPJ with a tuneboy can you go in and adjust ignition cut times ?
Yes, open Tuneboy Trim, Tools, Config Options. There is a slider bar to adjust the QS kill time. Around 2/3 towards faster works for me.
Thanks from tack514 and mquaedflieg

Last edited by SPJ; Mar 3rd 2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 06:09 PM   #9

Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Yes, open Tuneboy Trim, Tools, Config Options. There is a slider bar to adjust the QS kill time. Around 2/3 towards faster works for me.
SPJ excellent thank you very much for confirming that Tuneboy can actually adjust QS ignition times
Old May 8th 2016, 09:24 PM   #10

I Ride: Panigale R | Streetfigther 848
Originally Posted by Raaseri View Post
A friend of mine once tied the bike into trailer, and doing so accidently tied one cable around shifter rod. He tried to tie down from rearsets. It bent shifter a bit causing exactly same symptoms you described.

And I have found in my shifter bikes, that lubricating shifter inner/outer rod joint keeps up silky smooth operation. It is almost as routine operation to me as lubricating chain. I use WD40 there.
I may have done the same...I can't tell if it's bent or not... 1mm off? No clue but now I'm getting consistent false nutural going to second, with or without lever action.

Any recommendations?

I've attempted to bend it back? Don't think it worked .

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
issues, quick, shifter

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.