Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 27th 2016, 03:19 AM   #1

OEM Fairing Removal

I needed to get details on the after market track IMU mount for another member, and also do a couple of things on my 1299 behind the fairing, so I made a small video on removing the fairing.

This is the OEM track fairing, but is pretty much identical to the OEM fairing, so if you want to save a couple of hours of labor, when you take your bike in for service, hopefully this may help.

Thanks from Montfort, Phl, youngR and 7 others

Old Jun 27th 2017, 05:33 PM   #2

I Ride: 1299 S
Great post, thanks for the help.

I changed the windscreen following the video and it went a treat. Sortof

The only issue I have is that two washer/spacers fell off in the process near the front of the bike and I couldn't figure out for the life of me where they belong. Each fell off at different points and I just can't figure out what to do with them.

Bike runs great and everything went back on exactly how it came off, but extra pieces are usually not a great sign. Can anyone ID these?
Attached Thumbnails
OEM Fairing Removal-fullsizerender-2.jpg   OEM Fairing Removal-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2017, 06:43 PM   #3
GK5

I Ride: 1299
They're probably from tip of nose fairing (one at bottom into the black plastic under tray and another above into the nose fairing itself). Or for top fairing (can't remember right or left) at bolt closest to nose...actually looking at your 2nd pic top right side by coolant reservoir, hole at tip of the black plastic holder
Thanks from ajctraveler

Last edited by GK5; Jun 27th 2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 03:30 AM   #4

One from each side of the bike.
Look at where the side fairing panel joins the nose cone. Right at the front of the bike there is a very small (3mm) allen bolt whose head is on the inside of the bike. It passes through two black panels and into a captive nut within one of the red panels. The spacer goes between the black and the red. It just rests there in the black panel until the bolt passes through it. They ALWAYS fall out when you are playing around with the fairings. A dab of grease helps to hold them in place. I believe that on the very early bikes there was a push rivet here instead of the bolt, so the spacer is an afterthought to allow the bolt to work.
Thanks from ajctraveler
Old Jun 29th 2017, 03:15 PM   #5

Interesting. I'll have to take the bike apart again next week to put them back on. Those bolts seemed firm without them, but I'll test again before riding. Appreciate the answers.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 06:51 PM   #6

I Ride: 2016 1299s Panigale
Originally Posted by razz View Post
One from each side of the bike.
Look at where the side fairing panel joins the nose cone. Right at the front of the bike there is a very small (3mm) allen bolt whose head is on the inside of the bike. It passes through two black panels and into a captive nut within one of the red panels. The spacer goes between the black and the red. It just rests there in the black panel until the bolt passes through it. They ALWAYS fall out when you are playing around with the fairings. A dab of grease helps to hold them in place. I believe that on the very early bikes there was a push rivet here instead of the bolt, so the spacer is an afterthought to allow the bolt to work.
What Razz said.. it's definitely the two spacers that lay in the front corner of the nose/side fairing. They are loose once the panels are separated and fall out all the time.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 07:45 PM   #7

Spacers

I disagree with the replies. I just took my side panels of a '17 and the spacers were on the rear (closer to the back) screw that you approach from behind the panel. IMO.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 02:13 AM   #8

Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
I disagree with the replies. I just took my side panels of a '17 and the spacers were on the rear (closer to the back) screw that you approach from behind the panel. IMO.
I wish that I could definitely give you all an answer, but the truth is that I haven't gotten around to taking the bike apart again to try to add them back. Having said that, I've been riding plenty and nothing is loose, so I'm guessing the bike makes due without the spacers. Hopefully they're just something necessary to conform to regulations and are not, strictly speaking, completely necessary.

I do remember them falling out near the front of the bike though, not the rear. But when (if) I do get around to dissecting the bike again, I'll be sure to post up.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:54 AM   #9

I Ride: 2013 1199R & 2015 Panigale R (& 2 HDs)
I remember getting stuck on those until I took a flashlight and poked around the underside of the front fairing by the fork tubes. Gotta look real hard in there. What's not screwed in there means those that are screwed in may have to operate under more stress to take up the load the missing screws were providing. One example is that cracks can develop.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:24 PM   #10

what size tool is used to remove the windscreen bolts?

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
fairing, oem, removal