Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:47 PM   #1

High speed Cornering help

Im having some trouble with a high speed "S" section at my local track.

Normally its expected you can full throttle through this section (around the 200kph mark ) with little troubles.

But on my bike its very heavy to steer at that speed in that section. I normally have to hold it (around 160-170kph) then get back on it coming out of the last part but by that stage ive dropped off the pace.

I swapped with a mates 2011 CBR1000 and that bike felt so light and nice in the same section...

Any suggestions on what I should start looking at to improve my bike in this section?

Old Jun 12th 2017, 01:29 PM   #2

I Ride: 2010 RSV4 Factory (Track), Paul Smart LE, 1199 Panigale S Tricolore (SOLD)
My initial thought would be the obvious...check suspension settings but my guess is it's more of a geometry issue and can be adjusted with rake angle change? Is your suspension set to F or P. Just throwing stuff out there but maybe you could provide more info on your current suspension setup so others could be able to better understand where your at whats been done so far to provide better feedback.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 01:47 PM   #3

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 2001 996S
you're supposed to go from side to side for a chicane on full throttle?
Old Jun 12th 2017, 01:48 PM   #4

Post video or this is a pointless discussion.

No way to critique what's holding you back without being able to see what's holding you back.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 04:18 PM   #5

Ducati's are known to turn, transition side to side, slower than inline fours. That because of the two big pistons, in line with the wheels, as opposed to the 4 smaller pistons across/perpendicular to the wheel plane of an inline four.

Lightweight wheels and tires are your friend in these high speed complex of bends.

If you've got those, then you need to practice physical counter steering to get the bike to transition side to side.

You are doing this now, but probably very lightly, without a lot of thought. Try being more assertive in the middle of the S bend.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 01:49 AM   #6

Which track and corner mate?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:41 AM   #7

I Ride: 2013 1199R & 2015 Panigale R (& 2 HDs)
Do make sure your steering damper isn't too stiff but you would notice that just pushing the bike around at idle speeds. How much turning or leaning are you really having to do if you cut a line through the middle of the S turns as straight as possible?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 12:48 PM   #8

Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Which track and corner mate?
Turn 3 & 4 @ Hidden valley Darwin, Australia.

Fast blind up hill into a hard braking right hand 90 turn.

I dont have a current vid, but I'll try and find one for everybodys reference.
(camera gets in the way if I mount on tank)

Bike is a 899. (general mods, termi's, TB's etc)
Front end just has 1.0kg spring and 7.5 oil set to normal height.
Rear end is 1299 base shock/ link is set F.
Tires are Supercorsa SC0's on OEM wheels.

The main complaint I have is how much input into the bars I need in this section. everywhere else on this track im comfortable with.
I have ridden a couple other bikes (CBR 1000, Street legal "16 R1) and they required less input to bars when under power.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 02:43 PM   #9

I Ride: 2013 1199R & 2015 Panigale R (& 2 HDs)
What are you doing with your legs? As you're coming into turn 3 on the outside lane as you should be when you came out of turn 2, you're already weighting the inside or right peg and your butt hanging off the right or inside and then switching your weight over to the other side without sitting down after you exit turn 3 and look straight down through turn 4 with your butt hanging off the left side weighting the left and looking past the apex uphill. You're probably in 3rd gear. Don't want to be any higher if you headed uphill. The outside leg in both turns should be pushing against the tank. Are you doing this and still wrestling the bike over?

I don't have this problem on my 1199Rs which should be harder to transition than 899s. Arms are supposed to be relaxed and this is something I've had to work on to get to this point. I do know my knees ache quite a bit at the end of the session when I get off the bike but my wrists don't hurt as they once did in the past. I am old with torn knee ligaments but you get my drift about using your body to help steer the bike?

The only other thing I can think of is to talk to a good suspension tuner and make sure your sag is right. I did this with my bike. Perhaps your compression is too high. Often the suspension tuners hang out at trackdays.

Last edited by SuperDuc29; Jun 14th 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 01:32 PM   #10

Originally Posted by SuperDuc29 View Post
What are you doing with your legs? As you're coming into turn 3 on the outside lane as you should be when you came out of turn 2, you're already weighting the inside or right peg and your butt hanging off the right or inside and then switching your weight over to the other side without sitting down after you exit turn 3 and look straight down through turn 4 with your butt hanging off the left side weighting the left and looking past the apex uphill. You're probably in 3rd gear. Don't want to be any higher if you headed uphill. The outside leg in both turns should be pushing against the tank. Are you doing this and still wrestling the bike over?

I don't have this problem on my 1199Rs which should be harder to transition than 899s. Arms are supposed to be relaxed and this is something I've had to work on to get to this point. I do know my knees ache quite a bit at the end of the session when I get off the bike but my wrists don't hurt as they once did in the past. I am old with torn knee ligaments but you get my drift about using your body to help steer the bike?

The only other thing I can think of is to talk to a good suspension tuner and make sure your sag is right. I did this with my bike. Perhaps your compression is too high. Often the suspension tuners hang out at trackdays.
Ive linked a vid from google, corner start @ 0:45

I wouldnt say im hanging off, but I am weight shifting while still in a tuck in position. I'll might look into trying that next meet to see if that helps.

NB- My working goal this season was to work loosening up my upper body/shoulders more.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
cornering, high, speed