Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree73Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 16th 2017, 03:39 AM   #71
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: United States

Posts: 74
Thanks: 10

Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
And how much do the other bikes weigh? The RSV4 is not the heaviest and it is well know that the 1299 is crazy light, the Anniversary model is even lighter. The 1299 is very thin but I suspect that will change with the V4.

You can look it up. It's the heaviest

CBR1000rr lighter than 1299
jpanigale is offline  
 
Old Jul 16th 2017, 04:39 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: TX

Posts: 817
Thanks: 507

I Ride: 2015 Ducati 1299s, 2013 Triumph 675R
Originally Posted by jpanigale View Post
You can look it up. It's the heaviest

CBR1000rr lighter than 1299
Where did you get that info? I'm showing the CBR1000RR SP being 10lbs heavier.
Rogue is online now  
Old Jul 16th 2017, 05:15 AM   #73
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: SF, Bay Area

Posts: 72
Thanks: 23

Originally Posted by jpanigale View Post
You can look it up. It's the heaviest

CBR1000rr lighter than 1299


You can also go to each of the manufacturer's website and look at their technical specifications.
kozumasbullitt is offline  
Old Jul 16th 2017, 05:21 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Norway

Posts: 512
Thanks: 189

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
I'm curious to the final specs of the new generation, although I believe the Panigale will be the more special of the two.
A V4 with the same development method should be heavier than the twin, since the crank case needs to be wider, longer crankshaft, and everything else is doubled. Better FEA anlyzing tools could negate a lot of the weight difference I guess... I do hope the roumors are right though, giving the street versions a 200cc bump, giving ut a more flexibe power band. A bigger hole doesn't weigh more either.
The frame will also need to be wider, although that won't necessarily dictate the overall width of the bike.

Bottom line for me is I'm curious, but unless it's VERY special I think I will stick to the 1299
TurboLag is offline  
Old Jul 16th 2017, 05:23 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: TX

Posts: 817
Thanks: 507

I Ride: 2015 Ducati 1299s, 2013 Triumph 675R
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post

You can also go to each of the manufacturer's website and look at their technical specifications.
That's exactly what I did. Ducati's site states 420lbs wet. Honda's SP is 430lb. The numbers on that screen shot from a magazine don't jive with the manufacturer specs (or U.S. magazine tests).

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that screen shot is from "Bike" or MCN". Both pretty Honda biased.
Thanks from youngR
Rogue is online now  
Old Jul 16th 2017, 05:27 AM   #76
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: SF, Bay Area

Posts: 72
Thanks: 23

Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
That's exactly what I did. Ducati's site states 420lbs wet. Honda's SP is 430lb. The numbers on that screen shot from a magazine don't jive with the manufacturer specs (or U.S. magazine tests).

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that screen shot is from "Bike" or MCN". Both pretty Honda biased.
It is from MCN but I was using it to reference Aprilia vs BMW.
kozumasbullitt is offline  
Old Jul 16th 2017, 05:28 AM   #77
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: SF, Bay Area

Posts: 72
Thanks: 23

Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
I'm curious to the final specs of the new generation, although I believe the Panigale will be the more special of the two.
A V4 with the same development method should be heavier than the twin, since the crank case needs to be wider, longer crankshaft, and everything else is doubled. Better FEA anlyzing tools could negate a lot of the weight difference I guess... I do hope the roumors are right though, giving the street versions a 200cc bump, giving ut a more flexibe power band. A bigger hole doesn't weigh more either.
The frame will also need to be wider, although that won't necessarily dictate the overall width of the bike.

Bottom line for me is I'm curious, but unless it's VERY special I think I will stick to the 1299
A bigger hole does not weigh more but a bigger piston and connecting rod sure does.
Thanks from Calderara di Reno
kozumasbullitt is offline  
Old Jul 16th 2017, 05:43 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Norway

Posts: 512
Thanks: 189

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
A bigger hole does not weigh more but a bigger piston and connecting rod sure does.
Sure, but much of that extra weight is negated by said bigger hole. We're talking max 50 grams weight difference from a 250cc piston/rod setup to a 300cc setup. If we take the 1199/1299 as an example, there is no (claimed) weight difference.
TurboLag is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2017, 03:19 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
Mutt1979's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: East England, UK

Posts: 941
Thanks: 546

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R
Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
I'm curious to the final specs of the new generation, although I believe the Panigale will be the more special of the two.
A V4 with the same development method should be heavier than the twin, since the crank case needs to be wider, longer crankshaft, and everything else is doubled. Better FEA anlyzing tools could negate a lot of the weight difference I guess... I do hope the roumors are right though, giving the street versions a 200cc bump, giving ut a more flexibe power band. A bigger hole doesn't weigh more either.
The frame will also need to be wider, although that won't necessarily dictate the overall width of the bike.

Bottom line for me is I'm curious, but unless it's VERY special I think I will stick to the 1299
Surely A V4 can be shorter than an inline 4? Rather like two smaller V-twins side by side? With the added pistons they will also become smaller in diameter too. Granted it will get bigger than the twin, but by how much.

Same for the weight, I agree it will get heavier, but I don't think it will be much between the engines alone? It's that frame in the spy shots that worry me.

Still, I have a deposit down for the V4 R, only time will tell. However, as it stands, I can see me keeping my R at the moment....... maybe a cafe racer to sit along side it?
Mutt1979 is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2017, 09:48 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 1053

I suppose its just me but I just can't build any excitement about something that has already been done over and over. Another normally aspirated 1000CC or whatever 200hp motor. Some day maybe the bike industry will modernize a bit. Granted the H2R is a pig of a bike and even harder to look at but I find that a lot more interesting at least from a motor development perspective. That planetary gear blower is more interesting that anything Ducati is doing.
endodoc is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
excited



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A helmet to get excited about mark419ny Gear 27 Jun 19th 2013 03:58 AM
Excited 1st time duck owner MUNDMAN New Users 2 Aug 24th 2012 03:59 AM
Is Rossi more excited about car racing these days .. than MOTOGP? RepDucWayne Racing 0 Apr 16th 2012 05:17 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed