Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

View Poll Results: Which Italian Steed to be added to my Stable
2017 Panigale 1299 26 72.22%
2017 Aprilia RSV4 RR 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Tree32Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 16th 2017, 07:05 PM   #1

I Ride: 2007 Ducati 1098 (Stollen, Nov. 2007 RIP)
First Post ALL Opinions welcome/ encouraged (but please try and bring some facts)

So I am on the fence truly between the 1299 & I know... RSV4 RR

I literally stuck in the middle to which bike to get emotionally and geographically.
I live in Huntsville, AL so either I drive north to TN (120+ miles one way) for the Aprilia Dealership who's been less then forth-giving on information much more than is on their dealer site. OR the complete 180; drive 90+ miles south, to hands down one of the most helpful, social and friendly dealership (Big #1 Motorsports) I have ever dealt with in 12+ years of riding (and no I have 0 affiliations with them I just had the pleasure of working with Jime explaining all my issues and why I am on the fence).

So here goes

Looks over the RSV4.... I believe Nuff said here. D 1. vs. A 0

Price D 1 vs. A 1
(to get a comparable bike you're looking at the 959 which has nowhere
close to the electronics that is standard with the RR)

Comfort... D 1 vs. A 1
well I have yet to sit on a 1299 but, I owned an 07' 1098 for 3 short months in Hawaii before it was stolen (R.I.P. )
TBD

Reliability. D 2 vs. A 1
I have seen many MANY issues with both but, the dealer support network thus far is highly favored to Duc. Aprilia seems to be sketchy.

Upgrade goodies. D 3 vs. A 1
way more aftermarket available for duc. from factory to other vendors.

Power D 3 vs. A 1
I have seen mixed numbers.. but I haven't had the pleasure of driving either... so the butt dyno has yet to swayed either way. (4 fly wheel hp diff isn't really something you can truly "feel")

Highway rideability D 3 vs. A 2
(Aprilia has cruise control & better mpg.. EST lol, long high straights might be awesome for land speed record attempts IF you don't enjoy your low insurance rates )

Total cost of ownership D 3 vs. A 2
(I saw the youtube video about the 22,000 mile 1299 review but nothing on the RSV)

So... Let's here it from the masses.... I am looking at pulling the trigger on this in the 2-4 weeks.

Old Jul 16th 2017, 07:22 PM   #2

I Ride: Panigale R | Streetfigther 848
There are several members with both bikes so hopefully they chime in.

I will just talk about dealership and dealership support since I have little bit of experience in that.

This was one of top importance to me as I move A LOT and Aprilla is horrible. Particularly in numbers of dealers. When they have limited number of dealers, they tend to not care about the customers since they have the "monopoly."

In California, there are so many Ducati dealers and "little" more Aprilla dealers so you can go wherever you want so Dealers have to compete with good customers service. However, states like La, GA, SC, NC, KY, TN, KS, and smaller states dont have that luxury.

When I lived in La, I drove 5 hours to get to Dallas to get to the dealer.

Warranty works tend to be Dealer depended so having a good dealer is essential.

Last edited by youngR; Jul 16th 2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 07:25 PM   #3

TBH, it sounds like you want the Ducati. You will no be disappointed by either.

Couple things to think about.

1) Aprilia is smoother/less thump

2) Long term ownership cost lower fir Aprilia. Think Desmo vs valve adjustment cost

3) Ducati can get cruise control with Tuneboy if you really want it.

4) Personally I think the Aprilia is ugly.

5) Ducati an easier bike to ride fast on street with the torque

6) Just pick one. Lol
Old Jul 16th 2017, 07:35 PM   #4

Originally Posted by AmpForE View Post
TBH, it sounds like you want the Ducati. You will no be disappointed by either.

Couple things to think about.

1) Aprilia is smoother/less thump

2) Long term ownership cost lower fir Aprilia. Think Desmo vs valve adjustment cost

3) Ducati can get cruise control with Tuneboy if you really want it.

4) Personally I think the Aprilia is ugly.

5) Ducati an easier bike to ride fast on street with the torque

6) Just pick one. Lol
Well, The wife and I are trying for babies, so this is going to be my last 'man' purchase for quite some time, so I really don't want to have any hesitation. I know my 1098 / dry clutch and 0 fancy rider assist to choose from. So.. it was pretty rough at times in Hawaiian Traffic. so I know some of the Desmo "quirks" but again it was stollen @ a little over 3 months of ownership and my insurance check didn't get me where I needed so I downsized to the Japanese variety.

I have seen a bunch of threads mentioning the "tuneboy" software. Do you use it? Is the OBD interface on the IMU/ ECU pretty straight forward? Thanks again man!
Old Jul 16th 2017, 07:42 PM   #5

Originally Posted by youngR View Post
There are several members with both bikes so hopefully they chime in.

I will just talk about dealership and dealership support since I have little bit of experience in that.

This was one of top importance to me as I move A LOT and Aprilla is horrible. Particularly in numbers of dealers. When they have limited number of dealers, they tend to not care about the customers since they have the "monopoly."

In California, there are so many Ducati dealers and "little" more Aprilla dealers so you can go wherever you want so Dealers have to compete with good customers service. However, states like La, GA, SC, NC, KY, TN, KS, and smaller states dont have that luxury.

When I lived in La, I drove 5 hours to get to Dallas to get to the dealer.

Warranty works tend to be Dealer depended so having a good dealer is essential.
Well thus far, The Birmingham Dealer is hands down looking like the better customer service department. The sales rep even told me to take my time and don't choose until after their demo day they're hosting the first week of Aug. But, he did say they ONLY have 959's to demo. But I don't expect to get on a brand new/ non-broken in Superbike and thrash even though Barbers is literally 10 mins away lol. The Aprilia guys haven't so much as given me a solid answer on what they have available to see and test (before I drive 2 hours to check it out). So on the customer relation department, Hands down goes to the Ducati front.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 08:45 PM   #6

Do they have an RSV4 demo? You need to ask them straight out, Do you have a demo I can ride, yes or no. If the say yes ask them when you can ride it. Don't drive the two hours unless you have made the decision to buy it without riding it.

Personally you need to ride both and that will ultimately help your decision. If Aprilia dealer says no then ride the Ducati and choose, make sure you tell Aprilia dealer you bought Ducati because you were between bikes and Duc had a demo and you didn't, and that made your decision easy.
Thanks from jpiwko
Old Jul 16th 2017, 09:21 PM   #7

Originally Posted by AmpForE View Post
Do they have an RSV4 demo? You need to ask them straight out, Do you have a demo I can ride, yes or no. If the say yes ask them when you can ride it. Don't drive the two hours unless you have made the decision to buy it without riding it.

Personally you need to ride both and that will ultimately help your decision. If Aprilia dealer says no then ride the Ducati and choose, make sure you tell Aprilia dealer you bought Ducati because you were between bikes and Duc had a demo and you didn't, and that made your decision easy.
Honestly, I guess living in Hi for so long, I was kinda blessed that they have pretty much all the heavier hitters on Oahu. So they would jockey for your business, opposed to the latter... But Jime (Duc sales rep @ Big #1 Motorsports) that on the Ducati demo days coming up they will have everything except the 1299, and they only have 959 demo bikes... but looking online the ergo's are exactly the same.. The heart of the two beasts, however, beat to completely different drums.

I really REALLY want a bike with wheelie control for corner exiting & launching on tack days. Although pinning the right hand on any modern era supersport anything is something that almost always yields big wheelies/butthole puckering effect lol.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 04:12 AM   #8

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Does not sound like much emotion in your decision process, all facts and figures. Not a fun way to buy a bike in my humble opinion.

I bought my 1199 back in 2012 without ever even sitting on one. Wheelie control has never been an issue. It does not have one.

Btw I went to Huntsville back in 99 parachuting with the 20th SF Group. DZ was a big paddock next to a place called space camp.

Went to hooters there too
Great time

Buy the 1299 ��
Thanks from b9009b
Old Jul 17th 2017, 04:34 AM   #9

Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
Does not sound like much emotion in your decision process, all facts and figures. Not a fun way to buy a bike in my humble opinion.

I bought my 1199 back in 2012 without ever even sitting on one. Wheelie control has never been an issue. It does not have one.

Btw I went to Huntsville back in 99 parachuting with the 20th SF Group. DZ was a big paddock next to a place called space camp.

Went to hooters there too
Great time

Buy the 1299 ��
Yeah I am retired Army and playing with the civilian side of things traveling a bunch keeping to the Avn side of things. But, as far as the bike choice, I really wish I had approval from Household 6 to get both One could be the full-time track bike the other could be my Sexy Street machine. Both bikes have their strengths.. I haven't even looked for / posted in an Aprilia Forum so I am fairly certain my mind is leaning towards the Pani... But I have had engrained into my life you always plan at least 3 contingencies plans prior to execution.

Does anyone take their 1299 on a long road trip? (here lies the non-rational choice of always rocking super bikes.. yes, they are meant for the track, but, I can rock a cruiser when I am retired )

I am fortunate in my line of work has me out of the loop traveling for 60 days of hard work and 60 days off to enjoy the finer things. So the wife & I make a habit of traveling a lot.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 04:46 AM   #10

I Ride: 2016 Ducati Panigale 1299S, 2016 BMW S1000RR, 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
[QUOTE=jpiwko;287434]

Does anyone take their 1299 on a long road trip? (here lies the non-rational choice of always rocking super bikes.. yes, they are meant for the track, but, I can rock a cruiser when I am retired ) [QUOTE]

Define long trip? I have put 300 miles on my 1299 in a day of mountain carving. I would probably just get bored long before getting tired on a long trip down the interstate.

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bring, encouraged, facts, opinions, post, welcome or