Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 29th 2017, 09:50 PM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Long Island

Posts: 91
Thanks: 25

I Ride: 2016 Panigale 1299
help with installing seat cover lock

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone had instructions on how to install the seat cover lock back into the right side tail strada. I just got my Full six carbon fiber tail tail strada. They forgot to include the small pieces of carbon fiber that go to the left and right of the seat cover. No biggie Im sure they will send it out. Left side went in perfect. Right side I had to file down the openings for the notches to fit the lock into. But the only issue now I cant install this lock. Im doing something wrong. I tried putting the lock in two different positions but I cant get the spring to attach and stay and nothing I did was correct. I wish I took a pic of how all the pieces line up. Any help would be great.
cycler is offline  
 
Old Jul 30th 2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
RetardedTiming's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Canyon Country

Posts: 413
Thanks: 251

I Ride: Anniversario l Hypermotard 939 SP
I thought the notches were one way. Meaning one is bigger than the other. I had mine lined up wrong at first. The arm on the lock that the spring goes into should rest against our close to the arm that holds the cable housing. The spring pulls it back into that position when you let the key go.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
RetardedTiming is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Long Island

Posts: 91
Thanks: 25

I Ride: 2016 Panigale 1299
Originally Posted by RetardedTiming View Post
I thought the notches were one way. Meaning one is bigger than the other. I had mine lined up wrong at first. The arm on the lock that the spring goes into should rest against our close to the arm that holds the cable housing. The spring pulls it back into that position when you let the key go.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
The notches were one way. But like with any aftermarket carbon fiber something just wont fit right. So both notches were too small and had to be filed open. However when I fitted the left side all the holes lined up perfect and the parts slid right into place with the connectors. And all the screws went in perfect. Same with the right side when I got so tired of playing with the lock that I bolted on the right side. Then caught myself about to put the seat cover it. I guess that may have been a bad idea since it may have locked and then I had no way of getting inside to unscrew the inner screws on either side of the seat cover. Then again even if the lock fit Im still doing something wrong and cant get it mounted.

Is there some sort of washer that keeps the spring in place? Here is a pic of the lock in place and the spring in place. And I will try to explain how I set the lever as best as I could and you tell me if its correct and whether the spring and rotation of lock is correct please. See where the spring is. I placed the lever downward meaning the part where the cable is put into is facing down. And the hole for the spring is on the right. After installing it that way the key would barely turn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tail strada.jpg (46.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by cycler; Jul 30th 2017 at 07:11 PM.
cycler is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
RetardedTiming's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Canyon Country

Posts: 413
Thanks: 251

I Ride: Anniversario l Hypermotard 939 SP
Looks like it's 180 to what it should be.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
RetardedTiming is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Long Island

Posts: 91
Thanks: 25

I Ride: 2016 Panigale 1299
Originally Posted by RetardedTiming View Post
Looks like it's 180 to what it should be.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
So youre saying the part of the spring(smaller part sticking out) that goes into the lock should be up top. And the part of the spring that goes into the lever should almost be on the left side. and the part of the lever that accepts the cable part should be sticking up rather than down? Jesus installing my Termi exhaust and installing my carbon exhaust cover thats right below the tail was easier that this freaken lock. Installing that exhaust cover took me 40 mins and thats because I drank a diet coke and smoked. Instead of removing the tank like most due. I followed the advice of a forum member. Loosen the tank. pinch off the fuel line. Place something to hold tank up like a piece of wood length wise. Raise the subframe. Remove old exhaust cover and replace with carbon fiber one. Lower subframe. Tighten bolts. Lower tank after doing the fuel line and bolt it up. This freaken lock is the bane of my existence lolol
cycler is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2017, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
RetardedTiming's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Canyon Country

Posts: 413
Thanks: 251

I Ride: Anniversario l Hypermotard 939 SP
Rotate the whole cylinder 180 degrees. The cable housing bracket is in the correct position so don't rotate that.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
RetardedTiming is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Long Island

Posts: 91
Thanks: 25

I Ride: 2016 Panigale 1299
Can you let me know if Im missing any parts. Maybe I dropped something. I lost the screw that went on top of the lock which went through the washer when I was attempting to screw into place. Good thing I have one of those large plastic jars that hold the reflectors used to scew into license plates filled with nuts, bolts and washers of almost all sizes that came off harleys that me and my mechanic buddy work on for my guys in my MC and other MC's and also filled with nuts, bolts and washers from Japanese and European sport bikes. I found a screw that had the same thread and size but it was a bit too long so I cut it.

Here is what I have for my lock. And maybe you can let me know if Im missing anything.
Lock, spring, lever, top washer and screw. Im wondering if anything holds the spring in place because I did try mounting the way you said but the spring kept coming out of that part where it sinks into. And when I mounted the lever with the with the hole on the left side it looked like it would hit the side of that L shaped bracket
cycler is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2017, 02:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Norfolk. UK

Posts: 859
Thanks: 397

I Ride: 1299S
At the risk of sounding like I'm teaching you to suck eggs, you would be well advised to obtain a copy of the workshop manual. I've removed these dozens of times. The main thing is to ensure you orientate everything correctly.

Feed the lock barrel through the seat panel (as you are aware the tabs on the lock barrel are different sizes and will only pass through the panel one way due to the asymmetric slots) and place the cable bracket over the barrel from the inside. It will only go on one way since the slots on the bracket should correspond with the asymmetric plastic tabs on the lock barrel. Screw on and tighten the plastic nut down onto the bracket, hand tight then a half turn will suffice. Ensure flat face of nut is NOT uppermost. Insert spring so that one end fits into the corresponding hole in the barrel body. Hook the end of the cable into the actuating arm. Attach the actuating arm to the barrel, whilst you hook the other end of the spring into the hole within it. Fit the domed spring washer (dome side up) and tighten the fastening screw over the top.

The orientation of the arm is the all important part here. You need to position it so that with the key out of the lock, the arm is not pulling on the cable, but is held in this rest position by the spring. On insertion of the key the arm needs to rotate anticlockwise against this spring to pull on the cable and release the seat lock. On releasing pressure on the key, the spring should rotate the arm clockwise to return it to the previous position. Here's a picture of the lock on my previous 1199 which shows the orientation of the arm. Sorry its not the best of pictures, as the forum wont let me upload any larger more detailed images. (Mods, is this issue being addressed BTW?). Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lock.jpg (77.5 KB, 19 views)
topolino is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Norfolk. UK

Posts: 859
Thanks: 397

I Ride: 1299S
Here's another pic that might help.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
topolino is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2017, 10:03 PM   #10
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Long Island

Posts: 91
Thanks: 25

I Ride: 2016 Panigale 1299
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
At the risk of sounding like I'm teaching you to suck eggs, you would be well advised to obtain a copy of the workshop manual. I've removed these dozens of times. The main thing is to ensure you orientate everything correctly.

Feed the lock barrel through the seat panel (as you are aware the tabs on the lock barrel are different sizes and will only pass through the panel one way due to the asymmetric slots) and place the cable bracket over the barrel from the inside. It will only go on one way since the slots on the bracket should correspond with the asymmetric plastic tabs on the lock barrel. Screw on and tighten the plastic nut down onto the bracket, hand tight then a half turn will suffice. Ensure flat face of nut is NOT uppermost. Insert spring so that one end fits into the corresponding hole in the barrel body. Hook the end of the cable into the actuating arm. Attach the actuating arm to the barrel, whilst you hook the other end of the spring into the hole within it. Fit the domed spring washer (dome side up) and tighten the fastening screw over the top.

The orientation of the arm is the all important part here. You need to position it so that with the key out of the lock, the arm is not pulling on the cable, but is held in this rest position by the spring. On insertion of the key the arm needs to rotate anticlockwise against this spring to pull on the cable and release the seat lock. On releasing pressure on the key, the spring should rotate the arm clockwise to return it to the previous position. Here's a picture of the lock on my previous 1199 which shows the orientation of the arm. Sorry its not the best of pictures, as the forum wont let me upload any larger more detailed images. (Mods, is this issue being addressed BTW?). Hope this helps.
I tried playing around with the lock tonight but had no luck even when looking at the stock tail strada and seeing that the larger slot had to be on the bottom after looking at the stock right tail strada. I tried and still made mistakes. Let me ask you something. Is there a rubber washer that goes over the spring to hold it in place. Reason I ask is because the spring keeps popping out. I may have one of my prospects from my MC go over to the local dealer tomorrow and ask if he can take a look at a panigale that is in there for warranty work just to see how the lock is set up because this lock has me dumfounded. I cant seem to figure this thing out. Shit I rebuild my entire motor on my 2010 harley street glide by installing a new S&S crank, timken bearing, cam plate, oil pump, starter, new 117 pistons and cylinders, starter, clutch basket, rocker plates, push rods, cams, listers, and all the gaskets. And I cant figure out a simple locking mechanism. I feel like a complete idiot.
cycler is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
cover, installing, lock, seat



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disk lock, under seat storage? Theexscientist Ducati 1299 4 May 10th 2016 01:38 PM
For Sale: New Luimoto Seat Cover & Gel Pad & Stock Seat b9009b Classifieds 13 Jun 25th 2015 06:25 PM
Installing clear clutch cover question SeanPatrick Ducati 1199 24 Jan 22nd 2015 11:02 AM
Lumimoto seat cover bradp51 Gear 17 Aug 22nd 2014 06:05 PM
For Sale: stock seat with LUIMOTO diamond seat cover Phl Classifieds 6 Apr 13th 2014 05:25 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed