Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree37Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 6th 2017, 02:51 PM   #11

Originally Posted by AZC View Post
Thanks for your reply, double0. I dont think it's a stupid question but I might could've asked in a other way as in "why would you choose the Ducati over the other bikes mentioned".

My current bike is a 2012 R6 which I've had for three years.

NOLA, you seem to be pretty childish with that comment so wont be using time to answer your stupid comment
NOLA may have been a little harsh but he is probably right. It's all subjective and there are many things to consider. What kind of person are you? That is the biggest unknown, no one can give you objective facts about a bike. In the end it will be how you feel when you are sitting on it, steaming down a fast road, streaking through the hills, chatting to friends at the pub.

One good way is to choose one, and see if you feel disappointed.

Cheers
Thanks from AZC

Old Aug 6th 2017, 02:53 PM   #12
AZC

So someone bought a specific bike/car and because he made that decision at that time does that mean he cant change his mind? Does not make any sence unless you are a stubborn person that really cant see over your own nosetip. What you are saying is that if all who owns a Ducati were given the oppurtunity to try and then pick one of the three mentioned bikes they would ALL still pick the Ducati? I doubt that. I guess the majority would but not ALL.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 02:55 PM   #13

Thanks for your reply, double0. I dont think it's a stupid question but I might could've asked in a other way as in "why would you choose the Ducati over the other bikes mentioned".

My current bike is a 2012 R6 which I've had for three years.

NOLA, you seem to be pretty childish with that comment so wont be using time to answer your stupid comment

My reasons for enjoying the 1299. It's aggressive and definitely more challenging than the fours. I find it very addictive to ride ( I've owned and ridden blades r1s and the current r1) and where none are bland the panigale is for me the most exciting to ride the best looking by far and provides me with all of the things that I got into motorcycles for in the first place.
Brakes , front end and power delivery are superb.
Whatever you choose you'll undoubtedly enjoy. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from Twistedracer and AZC
Old Aug 6th 2017, 03:03 PM   #14
AZC

Cosmik, I know it's hard to give a objective opinion since you know nothing about me but at the same time cant see any other way to hear opinions and get info on the bikes. As i wrote in my first comment I cant go and get a test ride on such bikes in Denmark. If I could I would have done it and based my decision on that and not asked you guys (no disrespect!) but that is not an option for me

Johnnyflies, thanks man! I appreciate your reply!
Thanks from Johnnyflies
Old Aug 6th 2017, 03:24 PM   #15

Cosmik, I know it's hard to give a objective opinion since you know nothing about me but at the same time cant see any other way to hear opinions and get info on the bikes. As i wrote in my first comment I cant go and get a test ride on such bikes in Denmark. If I could I would have done it and based my decision on that and not asked you guys (no disrespect!) but that is not an option for me

Johnnyflies, thanks man! I appreciate your reply!

I found Ducati much more aggressive power delivery than R1 so definitely more of a handful.
Ducati has much better brakes than the R1.
Both are very stable at lean and feel light and flickable.
One pretty much as fast A to B as the other but because the R1 is definitely easier to acclimatise to it's a bit more effortless but I found it much less rewarding than the Ducati.

Personally as I continue to experience the panigale i can be faster on it than I would have been on anything else. It inspires confidence.

Nice position to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from Twistedracer
Old Aug 6th 2017, 03:43 PM   #16

I Ride: 2015 1299s, 2009 675SE
My 0.02p, not that it will help. I had the same dilemma but with an RSV4RF in the mix. We are all different, my reasons might seem fickle but I'm a tart.

I rode all except the R1, with in 2 weeks.
R1. The reason I didn't ride the R1 was simple. I heard it, sounds awesome. I then looked at one and saw the absolute plumbing and wiring nightmare that is around the RH foot peg. instantly realised I could never live with one as it's all I'd ever see. Really poor from Yamaha. Could be the best thing ever but just knew I couldn't own one.

S1000RR. Amazing bike just to German and boring! Didnt try and kill me. Just went ballistically fast with no fuss. Felt A bit lazy! Sounded great on the overrun. It's just I4's don't do anything for me.

RSV4 was between this and the Pani. Sounded great, Tried to kill me, handled great but when you looked at it why did it have old ohlins on a near 20k bike? Also no Blipper. This has since changed I see. Also not a great fan of the colour scheme.

1299s. I always wanted a Ducati. I rode the 1199s and hated every second of it. Terrifying. It might of been the day I went out but there was absolutely no feel what so ever. Tried to kill me in a bad way. Wheelied off nothing and nearly stuck me in a crash barrier after the tank slapped on landing. Jumped on the 12 and it was night and day.

The looks. I can open the garage and just look at it for ages. Sounded great, tried to kill me at ever opportunity. The popping on the up shift. The feel and Handling is bananas. In fact it was so quick to steer I nearly ended up in a hedge. This coming from a 675 Daytona. I love the fact it moves around but feels so planted at the same time. Best brakes on a bike that I have rode. Has it got soul and character. In my eyes yes. Would I be faster on track with the others, Probably, the BMW, definitely. But would I be grinning ear to ear, no I wouldn't. I tracked her recently Christ it was great fun, Christ it's fast. Giving the others big handfuls on the road didn't give me that something the Pani did. Then there's the looks, God it's fit. (Its basically Rachel Riley in bike form. I suggest googling her if you haven't seen her) It's a bit of an ego trip when people look at your bike.

Just get out and ride them. Even if it's difficult to do it, you have to. If you like one more than the other after you have then buy that one!
Thanks from Phl, Twistedracer and Johnnyflies

Last edited by Southwest; Aug 6th 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 05:48 PM   #17

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - 1190 ADVR - - - - - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
So someone bought a specific bike/car and because he made that decision at that time does that mean he cant change his mind? Does not make any sence unless you are a stubborn person that really cant see over your own nosetip. What you are saying is that if all who owns a Ducati were given the oppurtunity to try and then pick one of the three mentioned bikes they would ALL still pick the Ducati? I doubt that. I guess the majority would but not ALL.
I'd have to agree, I was at a cross roads last month and wanted to upgrade to a larger displacement bike. I have an 899 also 959 and last year I had a modified 1098 track bike that was quite quick and had all the bits.

The last 4 years I have attended the BMW track experience and ridden one of the S1000RR demo bikes and have liked them, I had a good ride on a used RSV4 factory and rode the standard R1 but not RIM when they came out. I was choosing between them and a base 1199 and eventually chose the 1199.

I went to the Aprilia forum to ask people who owned multiple bikes and found a few who did, people who were not multiple brand owners mostly (not all) gave me shit but I got some good insight especially from people that had S1000's or 1299's as well as an RSV4.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 06:38 PM   #18

Ducati 1299s vs BMW S1000RR vs Yamaha R1M

So I'm looking to buy my second bike and out of all the amazing bikes out there I've narrowed it down to 3 favorites, the Ducati 1299s, BMW S1000RR and the Yamaha R1M. I really cant decide between the three. I love the looks on all three and they are all incredibly fast. I live in Denmark and here it's not that easy to get permssion to take such bike on a test ride. You have to be over a certain age with a minimum of x years driving experience etc. I know this is a Ducati forum but why would you choose one over the other? I apprecialte your thoughts especieally if you have tried riding two or all three of them. It will be used for street riding.

If you ignore performance, it can be an interesting question. Consider what you like outside of performance and even handing.

1) Comfort - consider your reach to the bars and the rear sets height. Some bikes might be more comfortable for you

2) Cruise control - do you want it, is this important to you?

3) Vibration - one of these bikes will put your hand to sleep, on is smooth as silk, the other is somewhere in the middle.

4) Heated grips - is this important to you?

5) eSuspension - they all have it, BMW's is most advanced and semi active reacting to bumps In the road. Ducati is on Ohlins, is progressive in that it adjust to the conditions but not individual bumps, and the R1 is stiffer and well suited for the track, aka a smooth surface.

6) Fuel economy. Will 110 miles a tank piss you off?

7) Insurance - does one cost more or less to insure?

8). Cost - oddly enough, the BMW loaded is the cheapest of the bunch.

See where I'm going with this. Sort out questions like this and your decision will be much easier.
Thanks from Twistedracer

Last edited by AmpForE; Aug 6th 2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 06:54 PM   #19

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - 1190 ADVR - - - - - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
Good points AmpForE that's probably the smart way to look at it. For me it's looks first then performance for it's capacity then comfort, although economy does creep into it as well for me that's probably one of the reasons why I stuck with a Pani so I could move all my aftermarket bits over from a previous bike.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 06:58 PM   #20

[I] why would you choose one over the other? I apprecialte your thoughts especieally if you have tried riding two or all three of them. It will be used for street riding.[/I][/QUOTE]

Bet You didnt expect those answers when all you were asking was above . I haven't ridden a BMW , but quite frequently swap rides on my mates 2016 R1. If I didnt have a Ducati , I would have no regrets owning a YamR1. I would say the electronics are more refined on the R1. Power wise , both have to much for the road . Suggest, you find a preference for ergonomics , what suits your build . If you are prepared to pay $ for the highest priced bike , dont factor money into the equation. Last thing you want to live with if you bought the BMW or Yam is , every time you hear that 1299 twin go past you wish you were on it !
Thanks from Twistedracer

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299s, bmw, ducati, r1m, s1000rr, yamaha