Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 13th 2017, 03:53 AM   #1

Tail Tidy - broken screw

Hi,
Did has Ducati Performance Tail Tidy installed recently. It did not align perfectly (carbon top part and light) so I decided to amend it. During removing part by part I found out that one of the screw of the set is broken and of course it was impossible to unscrew it. I believe that was the reason why the tail tidy did not align from the beginning. Can anyone advice how to remove the broken screw not causing more damages to the set?Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 13th 2017, 04:08 AM   #2

I Ride: Ducati 1299 Panigale
Option 1 epoxy a skinny finish nail on and wait till it sets then back it out with pliers.

Option 2 use a left hand pitch drill bit smaller than the screen and gently drill out the stem while not ruining the threads. This requires a steady hand.

That goldish treaded insert looks to be fine thread. And your screw is course thread. That's probably going to be cross threaded.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old Aug 13th 2017, 05:29 AM   #3

Originally Posted by RANGER86 View Post
Option 1 epoxy a skinny finish nail on and wait till it sets then back it out with pliers.

Option 2 use a left hand pitch drill bit smaller than the screen and gently drill out the stem while not ruining the threads. This requires a steady hand.

That goldish treaded insert looks to be fine thread. And your screw is course thread. That's probably going to be cross threaded.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for advices.
I would go for option number 1 first but might be required a steady hand for option number 2.
Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Diy always with damaged bolts cut a slot with a dremel then use a flat blade screwdriver.

loctite use heat
seized freeze and release

Last resort easy out or very last resort drill out and heli coil / time sert

Or make a small hole with a tiny drill bit not that deep or use a hole punch then tap the bolt around to undo (delboy)

Never done but should work in theory heavy duty jb weld a nut to the broken bolt leave for 24hrs undo as per usual
Old Aug 13th 2017, 01:30 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
Diy always with damaged bolts cut a slot with a dremel then use a flat blade screwdriver.

loctite use heat
seized freeze and release

Last resort easy out or very last resort drill out and heli coil / time sert

Or make a small hole with a tiny drill bit not that deep or use a hole punch then tap the bolt around to undo (delboy)

Never done but should work in theory heavy duty jb weld a nut to the broken bolt leave for 24hrs undo as per usual

Thanks

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
broken, screw, tail, tidy