LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 27th 2014, 09:20 PM   #11

I Ride: 13, white 1199 S, 10 Husaberg 450FE
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
This thread is useless
I agree

Originally Posted by Brad View Post
That the paint is not COB.

The paint on the 1199 is definitely COB.

I mean WTF?

Old Feb 27th 2014, 09:36 PM   #12

I Ride: 15 Pani R ( I weep a little sometimes )
weak paint is a reality for many modern cars even. Although the paintjob on the 1199 is far from flawless, it does the job and is on par with most European cars. Gotta remember too that these are flexible panels requiring flexible paint so there is a compromise between flex and hardness. It won't be as good as the scratch resistant paints used on steel panels on some cars like Mercedes. I wish they painted the 1199 with more consistency however. The 899, well, cost is the natural determinant on a low cost model.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:03 AM   #13

I Ride: Ducati 2010 SFS, Ducati 2012 1199 S
Originally Posted by outhouse View Post
I agree

I mean WTF?

So what do you want?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:32 AM   #14

Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
This thread is useless without suggestions on how to care properly for a single stage, water based paint job for all the people who do not know how.

Alex

So tell everybody how they should care properly for their Single Stage Paint then.
Or is your only solution being to pass the responsibility on to someone else when you tire of it?
Some owners may not have the resources to do what you plan on doing, and may benefit from a preventative course of action.

I believe it's better to be fore warned and armed with the relevant information before it becomes a problem for an existing owner, or a prospective owner doing some research before buying the bike.
They may have an incident that will cost them money and could've easily been prevented.

It's better than coming onto the forum and bitching and whinging and whining about it after the fact. Like some may be inclined to do.

Now if they come on the forum, they can see the thread and either ask the relevant questions according to their level of experience/understanding.
Alternatively they may want to simply Google it, for some more background information on the matter.
Maybe they will even check in their owners manual

Anyway, now we already know what you'll tell them to do.
By the way, it doesn't matter if it's a modern water based chemistry or old school paint technology.
Without a clear coat the results are pretty much the same.
Carry on
Thanks from 1199 dreamer, mikeduc2 and Thamer

Last edited by Brad; Feb 28th 2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 07:23 AM   #15

Originally Posted by Brad View Post
So what do you want?
You to do your homework before you post.

I know the white is 3 stage process.

Ducati Anniversary red code 473.101 (PPG);
Base (Acriflex White) LMC06017 (LECHLER);
sub-frame Matt Black 4 Gloss;
Monocoque Gray frame and black rims.
Arctic White Silk
Primer (Dual primer Arctic White) code L2920057
(Lechler);
Primer (Pearl White Ducati SF) code L2909004
(Lechler);
Clear coat code 96598 (Lechler);
sub-frame Matt Black 4 Gloss;

Now the red your talking about is single stage urethane known as "Concept".

Its not old school, and if you want to help people protect it, you need to at least tell the people what kind of paint it is so they can get the proper protection.
Thanks from Gmac
Old Feb 28th 2014, 04:19 PM   #16

Sorry Old Mate
You're missing the whole point of the original post

What was it in particular, that you recommend for the care of the paint on the 899 again?
Carry on
Old Mar 15th 2014, 05:39 PM   #17

I Ride: 899
After reading that after detailing some 899 owners had red colouration on the cloths they used, I started to ask around about paint protection and clear coats.

"If guys are picking up paint colour then there will be no clear coat on the bikes and as such Ceramic Pro can be applied but how it performs will vary. In some cases its great in other it wears off. If you want to a good level of clear coat I can only suggest you disassemble the painted parts and have them cleared by a panel shop. Like all coatings Ceramic Pro is only as good as the paintwork it is applied to."

So after a bit of deliberation I think getting a panel shop to apply a clear coat is the path I will take. I plan on living with my red 899 for quite a few years and I'm curious as to why Ducati didn't clear coat the 899, but did so for the 1199.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 06:05 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
After reading that after detailing some 899 owners had red colouration on the cloths they used, I started to ask around about paint protection and clear coats.

"If guys are picking up paint colour then there will be no clear coat on the bikes and as such Ceramic Pro can be applied but how it performs will vary. In some cases its great in other it wears off. If you want to a good level of clear coat I can only suggest you disassemble the painted parts and have them cleared by a panel shop. Like all coatings Ceramic Pro is only as good as the paintwork it is applied to."

So after a bit of deliberation I think getting a panel shop to apply a clear coat is the path I will take. I plan on living with my red 899 for quite a few years and I'm curious as to why Ducati didn't clear coat the 899, but did so for the 1199.

Keeping a polymer on it with a carnuba is about the best protection without repainting the bike.

I think you wil see this paint curing better with time and not as much red will come off as the paint gets a bit harder. But in case it is cured fully standard paint protection will help.
Thanks from Rowan
Old Mar 16th 2014, 09:41 AM   #19
Banned

I still say everyday who in their right mind would buy an 899....?

EVERYTHING about the 899 is half the quality of an 1199 and its only like $3K cheaper....
Quite a ripoff in my book.

ANd I love all these people who are putting magnesium engine covers, SSS's, and LED lights on their 899. They've spent 1199 money and yet they have an 899...

I JUST DO NOT GET IT!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:58 PM   #20

I agree.
But it's their money.
Besides it's these people who help to keep the global economy moving

It happens with cars and bikes, where people can't afford to buy the top shelf version straight out of the box, but continue to harbour a deep seated longing for it.
Then over a period of time spend more money on trying to make the economy model the same spec, and end up with a franken machine that's worth a lot less than if they'd left it alone.
They expend enormous amounts of mental and emotional energy, time and resourses and rarely get to scratch that deep seated itch properly.

We've been seeing it with the base model 1199 where people are putting LED lights and ditching the OEM suspension, for higher spec Ohlins than the S model.
And they'll never be able to fully exploit it, let alone tell the difference between the OEM stuff and what they're fitting. Then there's the wheels and carbon

The 899 is just the next wave we'll be seeing.
It will be the same things like clear coating the painted panels, LED's, wheels and suspension components.
Then there'll be the lighter engine parts out of the DP catalogue such as the DP magnesium Clutch covers and the Generator covers.
All in the quest to make it like an 1199

By the time they've finished they could've bought an 1199 S and be done with it. Then keep it stock standard and retained more resale value, with a fraction of the hassle and less resources.

What ever floats your boat I suppose

Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 899

Tags
899, care, ducati, paint, strategy

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.