Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Forum > Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster Ducati Monster Forum


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ljuice26's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida

Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 1110

I Ride: 1199
Monster S vs Superduke 1290

I just read the June 2014 issue of Soort Rider which had a write up on both bikes. What I think is interesting is the stats for both. Based on the stats below, I think these two bikes are very close. The ktm is 10lbs heavier. I think, remap the monster to the specs of the Diavel, and you have a ktm killer. Thoughts?

Ducati Monster S:
Weight - 461lbs
Disp - 1198cc
Comp ratio - 12:5:1
Bore x stroke - 106 x 67.9mm
HP - 145
Torque - 92ft. lbs

KTM Superduke 1290
Weight - 472lbs
Disp - 1301cc
Comp ratio - 13:2:1
Bore x stroke - 108 x 71mm
HP - 152.3
Torque - 93ft. lbs
Ljuice26 is offline  
 
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Stw
Moderator
 
Stw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Dallas.Tx

Posts: 6,383
Thanks: 2536

Originally Posted by Ljuice26 View Post
I just read the June 2014 issue of Soort Rider which had a write up on both bikes. What I think is interesting is the stats for both. Based on the stats below, I think these two bikes are very close. The ktm is 10lbs heavier. I think, remap the monster to the specs of the Diavel, and you have a ktm killer. Thoughts?

Ducati Monster S:
Weight - 461lbs
Disp - 1198cc
Comp ratio - 12:5:1
Bore x stroke - 106 x 67.9mm
HP - 145
Torque - 92ft. lbs

KTM Superduke 1290
Weight - 472lbs
Disp - 1301cc
Comp ratio - 13:2:1
Bore x stroke - 108 x 71mm
HP - 152.3
Torque - 93ft. lbs
I thought the SuperDuke was 180hp???
Stw is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 2,118
Thanks: 677

I Ride: BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
I thought the SuperDuke was 180hp???
Negative. The stuff I read puts it in the 150 range as well. I'm with you, Juice. I also like the styling/looks of the Ducati better personally so I'd definitely go that route if it were me.
Capt CF is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Stw
Moderator
 
Stw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Dallas.Tx

Posts: 6,383
Thanks: 2536

Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
Negative. The stuff I read puts it in the 150 range as well. I'm with you, Juice. I also like the styling/looks of the Ducati better personally so I'd definitely go that route if it were me.
Engine type 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75
Displacement 1.301 ccm
Bore/stroke 108/71 mm
Power 132 kW (180 HP) at 8.870 rounds/min
Starting aid Electric starter/12V 11.2Ah
Transmission 6 gears
Engine lubrication Pressure lubrication with 3 Eaton pumps
Cooling system Liquid cooling
Clutch PASC slipper clutch, hydraulically operated
Engine management/ignition Keihin EMS with DBW, double ignition

Last edited by Stw; Apr 29th 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Stw is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ymikkel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Norway

Posts: 157
Thanks: 25

I Ride: 2013 Panigale 1199 R
MCN did a test of the "super" naked bikes. On track the KTM comes out better than the Monster which is described more like a cruiser.

Super Naked Revolution | Group Test | Motorcyclenews.com - YouTube
Thanks from Thamer
ymikkel is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 2,118
Thanks: 677

I Ride: BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
Engine type 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75
Displacement 1.301 ccm
Bore/stroke 108/71 mm
Power 132 kW (180 HP) at 8.870 rounds/min
Starting aid Electric starter/12V 11.2Ah
Transmission 6 gears
Engine lubrication Pressure lubrication with 3 Eaton pumps
Cooling system Liquid cooling
Clutch PASC slipper clutch, hydraulically operated
Engine management/ignition Keihin EMS with DBW, double ignition
*shrug*.. I saw 150 in at least 2 places.
Capt CF is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,796
Thanks: 1696

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
If there would be a kit in the future to upgrade the M1200S to the Diavels power I would immediately buy it. That would be awesome. I think the only reason why Ducati cut the power on the Monster is to make it even easier to ride for youngsters.

And yes, in IMHO the 1200S is some sort of cool looking agile cruiser.

The KTM is far more aggressive (for small tours and racing thru the alps or splitting lanes in the city it's more supercool than the Monster).

I have no track expierience.

The funny thing is: on bad roads I drive faster thru corners with the Monster than with the Pani. Damping is soft and easy going.

Last edited by Gecko; Apr 29th 2014 at 09:54 AM.
Gecko is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ttkarp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Michigan

Posts: 1,161
Thanks: 597

I Ride: 2012 Panigale S/ABS
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
I thought the SuperDuke was 180hp???
They did the old crank vs wheel trick!!
ttkarp is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 2,118
Thanks: 677

I Ride: BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Originally Posted by ttkarp View Post
They did the old crank vs wheel trick!!
Checkmate!
Thanks from Xbox
Capt CF is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ttkarp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Michigan

Posts: 1,161
Thanks: 597

I Ride: 2012 Panigale S/ABS
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
Checkmate!
Lol. Damn it. They got me again
ttkarp is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Forum > Ducati Monster

Tags
1290, monster, superduke



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW 1200 monster in 2014 Phl Ducati Monster 57 Nov 6th 2013 08:38 AM
Hey Guys Looking to add a Monster.. Realprop Motorcycle Talk 6 Sep 11th 2013 09:54 PM
Next gen Monster...or something else? bwaide Motorcycle Talk 7 Jul 23rd 2013 04:40 PM
Tricolore Monster question??? swanamaker Ducati Monster 4 Oct 30th 2012 04:24 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed