Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera

Ducati Superleggera Ducati Superleggera Forum - Ducati Superleggera Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree47Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 04:23 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Prince Albert's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 1368

I Ride: 2013 1199S Tricolore, 2005 999S Track Bike
looks like a base model with a paint job and rims
Prince Albert is offline  
 
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 02:46 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
cosmok's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Somewhere in a constant state of non compos mentis...

Posts: 524
Thanks: 186

I Ride: My wife... when she let's me!
Originally Posted by Prince Albert View Post
looks like a base model with a paint job and rims
I have stayed out of most of the pro con arguments to this bike, but I must say it does fall short of spectacular. You can buy lighter wheels, the same Akra exhaust and custom tune, Ohlins cartridges and have over 90% + of the same capability for roughly $10k above the price of an R. To each their own, if money was no object I would buy one. Just my .02.
Thanks from Prince Albert
cosmok is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 03:05 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: NYC

Posts: 1,072
Thanks: 421

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 1098r Bayliss, Triumph 675R (ex AMA Bike), Beta 300 RR Race
Originally Posted by cosmok View Post
I have stayed out of most of the pro con arguments to this bike, but I must say it does fall short of spectacular. You can buy lighter wheels, the same Akra exhaust and custom tune, Ohlins cartridges and have over 90% + of the same capability for roughly $10k above the price of an R. To each their own, if money was no object I would buy one. Just my .02.
I'm looking forward to reading the reviews on this bike as it's the highest power to weight ratio of any production bike also you have to remember that this bike has a different electronics package along with mag frame upgraded engine and carbon fairings etc which when all added together should be something special, so that extra 10% costs a huge amount of money to get to but it should make an exciting bike.

I'm just glad that Ducati has the balls to actually make these type of bikes otherwise are only options are to buy an RS or try and replicate the SL build which would probably add up to the asking price, you just need to look at Kope's bike and see what he has put into it and some of the mistakes he has made along the way which all add up $$.
Thanks from shakazulu12

Last edited by reganc; Apr 2nd 2014 at 03:29 PM.
reganc is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 05:24 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
cosmok's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Somewhere in a constant state of non compos mentis...

Posts: 524
Thanks: 186

I Ride: My wife... when she let's me!
Originally Posted by reganc View Post
I'm looking forward to reading the reviews on this bike as it's the highest power to weight ratio of any production bike also you have to remember that this bike has a different electronics package along with mag frame upgraded engine and carbon fairings etc which when all added together should be something special, so that extra 10% costs a huge amount of money to get to but it should make an exciting bike.

I'm just glad that Ducati has the balls to actually make these type of bikes otherwise are only options are to buy an RS or try and replicate the SL build which would probably add up to the asking price, you just need to look at Kope's bike and see what he has put into it and some of the mistakes he has made along the way which all add up $$.
I agree with everything you say. It takes a huge amount of $$ and R&D to get that last 5-10% edge. I also am ecstatic Ducati takes this approach, because the technology eventually trickles down in one shape of form to their entire line.
cosmok is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 05:54 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Coast

Posts: 809
Thanks: 242

not sure why people think 10% increase in price will equate to marginal cost additions. . It's always the law of diminishing returns and those numbers start going logarithmic when you are in the upper echelons of performance (cars, bikes, audio/video, etc) . . Using another example - the parent company Lamborghini Aventador 700-4 is what - approximately 400K. The limited edition Aventador 720-4 which is LESS than a 10% improvement (actually only 20hp more) - is 1.2m. . .

does it change the demand ? nope, none at all. the 720-4's limited run is sold out just the same. . .
anthem is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 06:03 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Eleven 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Texas

Posts: 466
Thanks: 287

I Ride: 2015 ZX14R
Originally Posted by anthem View Post
not sure why people think 10% increase in price will equate to marginal cost additions. . It's always the law of diminishing returns and those numbers start going logarithmic when you are in the upper echelons of performance (cars, bikes, audio/video, etc) . . Using another example - the parent company Lamborghini Aventador 700-4 is what - approximately 400K. The limited edition Aventador 720-4 which is LESS than a 10% improvement (actually only 20hp more) - is 1.2m. . .

does it change the demand ? nope, none at all. the 720-4's limited run is sold out just the same. . .
IMO it's more about exclusivity than performance. People are willing to pay more for things others can't get... makes them feel special.
Eleven 99 is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2014, 08:33 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Jello's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
From: New York, NY

Posts: 350
Thanks: 203

I Ride: 2014 1199 Superleggera #218
Originally Posted by Eleven 99 View Post
IMO it's more about exclusivity than performance. People are willing to pay more for things others can't get... makes them feel special.
This is kind of a tired argument, but I can't help myself from wading in...

That's a pretty broad and sweeping generalization of "People". Are you trying to insult everyone who purchased one, or just venting some kind of twisted jealousy because you don't feel special?

As others have noted, there is a non-linear scale in chasing the upper limits of performance. We can argue til the cows come home about whether anyone here is talented enough to need (or even use) that extra performance, but that's besides the point. Casting aside the "Starbucks Riders" for a moment, some people just want the best performing machine that they can afford. I've never seen the likes of Wilkson or Kope in person on the track, but I'm sure they'd buzz right by me if we shared the tarmac - does that mean I should only buy bikes lesser than what they might own?

There is an irrational joy and passion that is typically associated with Italian bikes. They may not always be the most performant on the track or the street, but they are almost always more fun than the Japanese alternatives. You being a member of this forum/community probably know that already. You probably also know that Ducati has much lower production numbers than Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda/Kawi/etc and a significantly higher price. Did you buy yours simply because it is more exclusive (comparatively speaking) and you wanted to feel special? If so, are you somehow being robbed of that feeling knowing there exists a halo bike under the same marquee and you can't have it? You can see how corrosive this line of reasoning is.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you own a Ducati for the thrill and exhilaration of riding one. I'll go further and assume you've done some mods to your bike to squeeze out a little bit more from it. Where you decide to draw the line and/or set your budget is your choice - and a personal one at that - so why judge anyone who has a bigger budget and/or a more irrational passion for top performance?
Thanks from RD16RR, quackquack and Twistedracer
Jello is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:25 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
2013RedSabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: West Coast, Canada

Posts: 195
Thanks: 77

I Ride: 2013 Panigale 1199S ABS
I wonder how much more it would cost to improve the Superleggera an amount equal to the posted differences between it and the R. (weight loss, hp gain, etc.)

law of diminishing returns
n.
The tendency for a continuing application of effort or skill toward a particular project or goal to decline in effectiveness after a certain level of result has been achieved.

How many would (could) buy it?

RE: Feeling special based on exclusive possessions. In truth, we are only custodians of our possessions since we can't take them with us when we leave.

PS Pride is a deadly sin for a reason.
Thanks from Realprop
2013RedSabs is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:58 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Akillya's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Canada

Posts: 162
Thanks: 128

I Ride: Ducati 1199 SL, 1199RS, 1199R, 1199s
Clearly the SL is a bit over priced but 499 people and myself bought them because the wanted an exclusive Ducati. Its not a logical decision but its not supposed to be. Maybe we have small dicks or we feel the need to show off but perhaps we just love Ducati's and we are at a point were we want the baddest-assed one we can get. I knew what I was doing when I ordered it and I intend to use all of the enhanced electronics and improved motor on the track when I race it. Hate me if you want, that just makes it sweeter!

My simple rules with frivolous toys are 1) If you have to borrow money to buy it then you shouldnt have it. 2) if you cant afford to crash it, dont take it to the track. 3) If you buy it then use it as it was intended. Its not a show piece, its a racebike!
Thanks from reganc, Twistedracer, HilG and 1 others
Akillya is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:43 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
acowsik's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Bangalore, India

Posts: 384
Thanks: 87

Originally Posted by Akillya View Post
Clearly the SL is a bit over priced but 499 people and myself bought them because the wanted an exclusive Ducati. Its not a logical decision but its not supposed to be. Maybe we have small dicks or we feel the need to show off but perhaps we just love Ducati's and we are at a point were we want the baddest-assed one we can get. I knew what I was doing when I ordered it and I intend to use all of the enhanced electronics and improved motor on the track when I race it. Hate me if you want, that just makes it sweeter!

My simple rules with frivolous toys are 1) If you have to borrow money to buy it then you shouldnt have it. 2) if you cant afford to crash it, dont take it to the track. 3) If you buy it then use it as it was intended. Its not a show piece, its a racebike!
I kinda agree and disagree with you at the same time... owning the SL is surely an exclusive club and makes u look and feel badass but on the 3 points in ur 2nd paragraph I have my views though

1. I had put down the deposit and couldn't get financing as I never had credit history as I had never taken a loan before.. this weighed heavily against me as I don't pay mortgage and needed to build credit.

I had to cancel the order finally and am waiting for the deposit refund now.

2. A bike taken to the track will depreciate heavily and more rapidly than one that sticks to the street. Although this bike is intended for the track, the value retention to usage nature is an endless debate.

3. Collectors will always throw a wrench into this debate as they have done with the D16RR before and we see a bunch of low mile bikes being sold a few years after. While I feel buying it and just keeping it as a show piece doesnt make sense at all, this will happen with the SL too. I wouldnt track this but would surely get enough miles on it on the street which would still make it lose value but not as heavily as yours will.

Last edited by acowsik; Apr 24th 2014 at 01:26 PM.
acowsik is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera

Tags
1199, 2014, ducati, info, pictures, superleggera



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP Pictures and Info duc Ducati Hypermotard 3 Oct 10th 2014 08:21 PM
Buying 1199 Superleggera 2014 CEROVA1199 Motorcycle Talk 108 Mar 19th 2014 10:53 PM
2014 Ducati 1199 Pictures - International Motorcycle Show duc Ducati 1199 24 Jan 21st 2014 02:41 PM
2013 Ducati 1199 R Info and Pictures duc Ducati 1199 51 Nov 15th 2012 05:28 PM
2012 Ducati 1199 Pictures and Info duc Ducati 1199 13 May 26th 2012 09:10 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed