Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera

Ducati Superleggera Ducati Superleggera Forum - Ducati Superleggera Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree47Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 24th 2014, 01:17 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Carbon fibr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Ontario Can.

Posts: 169
Thanks: 62

If i owned one id Have it on stands displayed in my house & drive it to Ducati meets only & never track it. Anywhere other than a Ducati meet no one knows what it is and your adding useless miles.
Show it with pride and keep it mint. Your a lucky fuker if u got one.
Carbon fibr is offline  
 
Old Apr 24th 2014, 02:24 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Akillya's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Canada

Posts: 162
Thanks: 128

I Ride: Ducati 1199 SL, 1199RS, 1199R, 1199s
If you had a choice between a mint 1199SL that had sat in a guys living room or a 1199SL that had been raced which would you choose? Wait let's think about this!!!! The living room bike was only ever started when the guy wanted to show his drunk buddies how cool it sounds, probably not properly warmed up.....or an ex factory race bike that was blue printed and dismantled every 600miles to ensure it's perfect inside. I choose the race bike!
Thanks from reganc and Twistedracer
Akillya is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2014, 02:32 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
wilkson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: australia

Posts: 2,507
Thanks: 2098

Originally Posted by Akillya View Post
Clearly the SL is a bit over priced but 499 people and myself bought them because the wanted an exclusive Ducati. Its not a logical decision but its not supposed to be. Maybe we have small dicks or we feel the need to show off but perhaps we just love Ducati's and we are at a point were we want the baddest-assed one we can get. I knew what I was doing when I ordered it and I intend to use all of the enhanced electronics and improved motor on the track when I race it. Hate me if you want, that just makes it sweeter!

My simple rules with frivolous toys are 1) If you have to borrow money to buy it then you shouldnt have it. 2) if you cant afford to crash it, dont take it to the track. 3) If you buy it then use it as it was intended. Its not a show piece, its a racebike!
Research has shown it is in fact you have small dicks . The exclusive one piece SL race suits have actually got a reduced dick area to allow for this .
wilkson is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2014, 03:07 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
acowsik's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Bangalore, India

Posts: 384
Thanks: 87

Originally Posted by Akillya View Post
If you had a choice between a mint 1199SL that had sat in a guys living room or a 1199SL that had been raced which would you choose? Wait let's think about this!!!! The living room bike was only ever started when the guy wanted to show his drunk buddies how cool it sounds, probably not properly warmed up.....or an ex factory race bike that was blue printed and dismantled every 600miles to ensure it's perfect inside. I choose the race bike!
I would buy neither.. If I had to get a used one I would take one that has only been street ridden and atleast has undergone the 7500 mile service

BTW have you ever seen a used D16RR for sale that has been ridden hard on the track? Think again..

Moreover I hope you plan to keep this bike for atleast 5 to 6 years minimum else it is just not worth the purchase no matter what your argument is. I had a 200cc Honda for 10 years before buying my 1199 R
acowsik is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2014, 03:26 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Akillya's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Canada

Posts: 162
Thanks: 128

I Ride: Ducati 1199 SL, 1199RS, 1199R, 1199s
Originally Posted by wilkson View Post
Research has shown it is in fact you have small dicks . The exclusive one piece SL race suits have actually got a reduced dick area to allow for this .
I am sure whatever model the giant dicked owners like yourself have, I have a couple of too LOL.

Last edited by Akillya; Apr 24th 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Akillya is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2014, 03:40 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Akillya's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Canada

Posts: 162
Thanks: 128

I Ride: Ducati 1199 SL, 1199RS, 1199R, 1199s
Originally Posted by acowsik View Post
I would buy neither.. If I had to get a used one I would take one that has only been street ridden and atleast has undergone the 7500 mile service

BTW have you ever seen a used D16RR for sale that has been ridden hard on the track? Think again..

Moreover I hope you plan to keep this bike for atleast 5 to 6 years minimum else it is just not worth the purchase no matter what your argument is. I had a 200cc Honda for 10 years before buying my 1199 R
I sell off some of the bikes I buy but generally I keep the Ducati's. Anyway if buyers are worried about resale they shouldn't be buying this bike or anything else that will rapidly depreciate. Luxury products are bad investments!

Last edited by Akillya; Apr 24th 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Akillya is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2014, 06:43 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
wilkson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: australia

Posts: 2,507
Thanks: 2098

Originally Posted by Akillya View Post
I am sure whatever model the giant dicked owners like yourself have I have a couple of too LOL.
I was thinking of buying a Harley I am far from having a big dick .
Thanks from iceman and Stw
wilkson is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2014, 03:46 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Eleven 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Texas

Posts: 466
Thanks: 287

I Ride: 2015 ZX14R
Originally Posted by Jello View Post
This is kind of a tired argument, but I can't help myself from wading in...

That's a pretty broad and sweeping generalization of "People". Are you trying to insult everyone who purchased one, or just venting some kind of twisted jealousy because you don't feel special?

As others have noted, there is a non-linear scale in chasing the upper limits of performance. We can argue til the cows come home about whether anyone here is talented enough to need (or even use) that extra performance, but that's besides the point. Casting aside the "Starbucks Riders" for a moment, some people just want the best performing machine that they can afford. I've never seen the likes of Wilkson or Kope in person on the track, but I'm sure they'd buzz right by me if we shared the tarmac - does that mean I should only buy bikes lesser than what they might own?

There is an irrational joy and passion that is typically associated with Italian bikes. They may not always be the most performant on the track or the street, but they are almost always more fun than the Japanese alternatives. You being a member of this forum/community probably know that already. You probably also know that Ducati has much lower production numbers than Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda/Kawi/etc and a significantly higher price. Did you buy yours simply because it is more exclusive (comparatively speaking) and you wanted to feel special? If so, are you somehow being robbed of that feeling knowing there exists a halo bike under the same marquee and you can't have it? You can see how corrosive this line of reasoning is.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you own a Ducati for the thrill and exhilaration of riding one. I'll go further and assume you've done some mods to your bike to squeeze out a little bit more from it. Where you decide to draw the line and/or set your budget is your choice - and a personal one at that - so why judge anyone who has a bigger budget and/or a more irrational passion for top performance?
My post that you quoted was in response to the Aventador 720-4's performance compared to the regular LP700-4.

Ever heard the saying "All in the kool-aid without even knowing the flavor!"? If you have anymore stress to release, feel free to type up another rant... they're entertaining to read.
Eleven 99 is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2014, 05:24 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: NYC

Posts: 1,079
Thanks: 426

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 1098r Bayliss, Triumph 675R (ex AMA Bike), Beta 300 RR Race
Originally Posted by acowsik View Post
I kinda agree and disagree with you at the same time... owning the SL is surely an exclusive club and makes u look and feel badass but on the 3 points in ur 2nd paragraph I have my views though

1. I had put down the deposit and couldn't get financing as I never had credit history as I had never taken a loan before.. this weighed heavily against me as I don't pay mortgage and needed to build credit.

2. A bike taken to the track will depreciate heavily and more rapidly than one that sticks to the street. Although this bike is intended for the track, the value retention to usage nature is an endless debate.

3. Collectors will always throw a wrench into this debate as they have done with the D16RR before and we see a bunch of low mile bikes being sold a few years after. While I feel buying it and just keeping it as a show piece doesnt make sense at all, this will happen with the SL too. I wouldnt track this but would surely get enough miles on it on the street which would still make it lose value but not as heavily as yours will.
I think there are only a very small minority of people who actually know what this bike is and the cost associated with it so if it makes you feel badass then good for you but most people won't be able to differentiate it from a $14k gixer.

Also this is a depreciating asset no matter what way you look at it and having owned limited edition ducati's they all loose money the first 5-8 years and then stabilize and some if you are lucky creep up a little again but buying it as an investment is a total waste of time as in my opinion riding it on the street.

No matter what way you look at it it's a race bike and except for the 1199r (which in my opinion is not a real R) all R's before that have been a pain to ride on the street along with the D16RR and at this stage i would not buy a D16RR that had not been ridden hard as the ones that have been babied around town or have limited milage on them leak and it's a beast of a bike to get fixed.

Also people who track these bikes usually have the means to maintain them and from what i have seen they are usually over maintained with the majority of owners usually having multiple bikes,
reganc is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2014, 06:46 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Coast

Posts: 809
Thanks: 242

Originally Posted by reganc View Post
Also this is a depreciating asset no matter what way you look at it and having owned limited edition ducati's they all loose money the first 5-8 years and then stabilize and some if you are lucky creep up a little again but buying it as an investment is a total waste of time as in my opinion riding it on the street.
This is not always true. . not saying the SL will or will not be, but not all the Ducati's lose value in that first 5-8 years, stabilize and then creep. . Some have actually gone up in value within a short span of time. .. Some examples of bikes that have gone up outside of the 5-8 years - just look at the sport classic line (particularly the Paul Smart). The Supermono in the mid 90's also went up pretty immediately as well. .

But by and large this is correct and who knows if the SL will retain anywhere near its value. .
anthem is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera

Tags
1199, 2014, ducati, info, pictures, superleggera



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP Pictures and Info duc Ducati Hypermotard 3 Oct 10th 2014 08:21 PM
Buying 1199 Superleggera 2014 CEROVA1199 Motorcycle Talk 108 Mar 19th 2014 10:53 PM
2014 Ducati 1199 Pictures - International Motorcycle Show duc Ducati 1199 24 Jan 21st 2014 02:41 PM
2013 Ducati 1199 R Info and Pictures duc Ducati 1199 51 Nov 15th 2012 05:28 PM
2012 Ducati 1199 Pictures and Info duc Ducati 1199 13 May 26th 2012 09:10 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed