Go Back   Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Thanks Tree138Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28th 2013, 09:23 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: St. Louis

Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 1149

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
Originally Posted by transdesigner View Post
Being a powertrain engineer, I find it totally unacceptable and basically a sign of incompetant engineering to design a bolted joint where bolts frequently come loose... We have formulas for these types of things when designing a joint... And when all else false, we at least specify the type and amount of loctite on assembly drawings. It's really not like engine vibrations are something "new", nor are bolts. At my company, the engineer that signed off on the bolt selection, torque spec, loctite selection, etc wouldn't have a job any more. I still love the bike, but I'm going to call out a fault when I see one.
If eveyone that owned a Pani had screws/bolts falling out, fine. But a small percentage are having issues. A hand built bike is going to have all the cosmetic screws hand torqued to various amounts, just human. Like I said earlier, my 1978 Kaw said to tighten bolts before riding. People that aren't, should not complain. Simple. Oh, IMO!!
Trauma is offline  
 
Old May 28th 2013, 09:23 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
VAST's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Manhattan

Posts: 1,956
Thanks: 784

I Ride: 2014 Panigale R (sold)
what is heavier?: a 10lb handbag of feather dusters or a 10lb bag of Ducati replacement bolts?

Originally Posted by NorthBankGooner View Post
My question for VAST & Jariva.........will it be handbags at 10 paces or feather dusters at dawn?
Thanks from White13Pani
VAST is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:25 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: St. Louis

Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 1149

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
Originally Posted by VAST View Post
what is heavier?: a 10lb handbag of feather dusters or a 10lb bag of Ducati replacement bolts?
They are using their fingers now, a lot easier.
Trauma is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:26 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Jariva's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: France

Posts: 219
Thanks: 103

I Ride: 2013 Panigale S, 2011 CB Diavel, 2008 Yamaha FZ1
Why everything is so difficult here.

VAST, you claim you have vast experience in Ducatis. I asked about your Panigale. So below could you post N or Y? Simples.
Jariva is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:31 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: St. Louis

Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 1149

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
Originally Posted by Jariva View Post
Why everything is so difficult here.

VAST, you claim you have vast experience in Ducatis. I asked about your Panigale. So below could you post N or Y? Simples.
I have posted several times, you cannot make anyone do anything on this forum. Whether it is wear protective gear, or now, just if they own a Panigale. Huge argument posts have ensued because of this. Getting worse the more they go back and forth, each attempt trying to word a stong enough or clever enough post to make the OP turn their hand. I suggest giving up, or this thread will turn into a 'Pat' skit from SNL, everyone trying to think of a post to force Vast to turn his hand.
Thanks from Jariva and VAST

Last edited by Trauma; May 28th 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Trauma is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:34 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
transdesigner's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Rochester, MI

Posts: 323
Thanks: 224

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
If eveyone that owned a Pani had screws/bolts falling out, fine. But a small percentage are having issues. A hand built bike is going to have all the cosmetic screws hand torqued to various amounts, just human. Like I said earlier, my 1978 Kaw said to tighten bolts before riding. People that aren't, should not complain. Simple. Oh, IMO!!
I know what you're saying, but in the auto industry, you usually pay more for the "hand built" factor because it means that an expert assembled your engine and personally signed off on its build quality. Our bikes cost more than the Japanese or German bikes... therefore I would expect more quality out of them, not less. If I bought a new $4000 Hyosung, I would be more able to accept some loose bolts due to cost cutting or low end engineering.
Thanks from mark419ny, pedrin and VAST
transdesigner is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:35 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
VAST's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Manhattan

Posts: 1,956
Thanks: 784

I Ride: 2014 Panigale R (sold)
best post gets the answer!

Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
I have posted several times, you cannot make anyone do anything on this forum. Whether it is wear proctetive gear, or now, just if they own a Panigale. Huge argument posts have ensued because of this. Getting worse the more they go back and forth, each attempt trying to word a stong enough or clever enough post to make the OP turn their hand. I suggest giving up, or this thread will turn into a 'Pat' skit from SNL, everyone trying to think of a post to force Vast to turn his hand.
VAST is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:35 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
VAST's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Manhattan

Posts: 1,956
Thanks: 784

I Ride: 2014 Panigale R (sold)
pure common sense from transdesigner! but common sense is too rational when dealing with "emotional" riding - LULZ!!!!


Originally Posted by transdesigner View Post
I know what you're saying, but in the auto industry, you usually pay more for the "hand built" factor because it means that an expert assembled your engine and personally signed off on its build quality. Our bikes cost more than the Japanese or German bikes... therefore I would expect more quality out of them, not less. If I bought a new $4000 Hyosung, I would be more able to accept some loose bolts due to cost cutting or low end engineering.
Thanks from transdesigner
VAST is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:39 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
ScrapperX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: California

Posts: 1,439
Thanks: 808

I Ride: Panigale R
Originally Posted by mark419ny View Post
Rocket v twin that gets smoked by ape bmw and stays even with most other liter bikes but hey I PAID 10K MORE FOR IT
Wow- i ride with a group of guys who are really good riders every weekend and go to track days together and I can understand the BMW on a straight it accelerate quickly to top end but the Ape, zx10, gsxr1000, Repsol, r1 can't keep up with me period. It's the same every week through the caynons hwy 33 to 166 The ape is on my six through the twisties canyons but loose him on long straights the BMW over takes the Ape on the straight and catches up to me but end of the road only gas station on the road ahead (70 miles) I win BMW second , APE then comes the zx10, gsxr, r1 then the Honda repsol. We often swap bikes and the outcome is usually the same. But honestly regardless of what people say about Honda's, on the track the Repsol is freakin smooth hard to beat its lap time. It's comfortable, stable and stays on its line. My best laptime is on my buddies Repsol at Streets of Willow.

I've found if you Dial down or turn off the traction control the Pani gets way faster.
Thanks from mark419ny, Forza Juve and Jariva

Last edited by ScrapperX; May 28th 2013 at 09:56 AM.
ScrapperX is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 09:47 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Jariva's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: France

Posts: 219
Thanks: 103

I Ride: 2013 Panigale S, 2011 CB Diavel, 2008 Yamaha FZ1
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
I have posted several times, you cannot make anyone do anything on this forum. Whether it is wear proctetive gear, or now, just if they own a Panigale. Huge argument posts have ensued because of this. Getting worse the more they go back and forth, each attempt trying to word a stong enough or clever enough post to make the OP turn their hand. I suggest giving up, or this thread will turn into a 'Pat' skit from SNL, everyone trying to think of a post to force Vast to turn his hand.
Makes sense. I just asked a simple question to make it easier for me to understand the background of the various comments. I know many people have had sometimes serious problems with their Panigales. It is good to learn about these problems. I just want to foresee if I might have the same problems with my bike in the future. It does not help to have a non-Pani owner to post various comments about the Pani reliability if he actually does not have one. Old Ducs are old Ducs and the problems were there. I have had no problems with with my Diavel and so far the Pani has been good. Both are late model Ducs without problems.

No offense to anybody, I just put more value on the long term Pani rider's comments rather than put too much attention to guys who do not ride one. That is why I asked the questions.
Jariva is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1299 Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
bolts, check



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Titanium Bolts Gunny Fitz Ducati 1199 31 Aug 11th 2014 01:22 AM
Titanium Bolts Trauma Gear 4 Apr 10th 2013 04:25 PM
Some Pro Bolts installed 1stduc1199 Ducati 1199 1 Mar 2nd 2013 12:15 PM
Another item to check for loose bolts. RiderGary Mechanical and Technical 13 Aug 24th 2012 12:23 PM
Rear Set mounting bolts help please. Rocky907 Mechanical and Technical 2 Aug 12th 2012 04:42 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed